Limited Budget but want a decent nylon carpet

Old 02-22-14, 04:40 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Limited Budget but want a decent nylon carpet

I have read the sticky and it was very helpful. I may have decided on a nylon carpet, but I wanted opinions. I am trying to do 906 sq ft and only have about $2700 for the total job. I know labor is about $700, and I can get a good vapor/spill barrier 8# or 10# for around $500.

I can afford Shaw Fusion Value 500, style E0283 through a place near some mills in GA. The sample says 3.5 for performance rating. I don't think there are 10 tufts. Maybe. It's close. It feels really good.

It is 37 oz per sq ft, and has the R2x stain treatment.

It is just hubby and me and dogs.

Will this be good enough?

I will take other suggestions, but it has to stay under $2700 total, or I will just shampoo this 15 year old matted down too light for spills and tracked dirt carpet again until we get more $$ way down the road cause we are in Chapter 13 and money is rare.

Old 02-22-14, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Greensboro is a step from Dalton, but since you are already considering obtaining your carpet from a mill, it may pay for a "road trip" to visit the different mills. It will be like Disney, though, as you can't do it in a day. There are so many! That way you could compare quality, construction, color, etc, hands on, and could even work a deal.

Old 02-22-14, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Be careful buying on line from a "mill" and having it shipped. One place that advertised as a mill, bought seconds from real mills and shipped and sold them as firsts.

Old 02-22-14, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Definitely!! That is why I suggested a road trip.

Old 02-22-14, 07:25 PM
F
I'm looking at buying from Long's Carpet in Dalton. Long's Discount Carpet | Dalton Ga | Carpet | Hardwood | Laminate

I really like the Shaw I mentioned in my OP. I guess I will check for problems with their business and make sure they aren't selling flawed carpet.

Old 04-08-14, 11:17 PM
C
Shaw is one of the most reputable mills and offers warranties on their products, which protect against manufacturer defects, among other things. Warranties will vary, depending on the carpet you buy, but should be no less than 5 years on a residential grade. With regard to the installation price, I would definitely recommend shopping around. $700 is WAY too expensive for installing carpet in that size, which is approximately 102 sqyds. I'm very leery of anyone who quotes carpet pricing by the sqft and not by the sqyd. Multiply the square footage amount by 9, in order to determine the square yards. Although, this is not always 100% accurate, it will get you within a few yards. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-09-14, 03:34 AM
F
We ended up replacing all the floors in our house. We got 106 sq yds total Mohawk Fresh Protector vapor barrier pad and Shaw's nylon Sandy Hollow from Longs in Dalton for our living room and master bedroom and it is beautiful. I was going for softness and density at a price I could afford. The Fusion was not soft enough for me. Sandy Hollow is 39 oz and the color is perfect. (I saw the color board at a store in town) I got a few good quality other remnants locally for other rooms. I went with Sam's Club Handscraped Oak laminate for our dining room, foyer and halls to the bedrooms. I love it too.

We did go over budget. We paid $1100 in labor and $2900 for all material.

Their Anso Nylon has a 20 year warranty.

Old 04-09-14, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Just remember that warranty is usually "wear" warranty. Nylon doesn't wear. After a while all carpet yarn uglies out. It loses it's twist etc. But the warranty is based on the length of the fibers. So don't buy on warranty alone.

Old 04-09-14, 07:57 AM
F
I didn't even know the warranty until I pulled it up after I purchased it. THe last nylon we just took up was down for 15 years and didn't look 'too bad'. It was just too light and showed some flatness near the masterbath and I just wasn't wanting to clean it again when I had a bonus and other extra funds. THanks everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: