Underlayment Replacement Help

Old 02-26-14, 06:02 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underlayment Replacement Help

I am in the process of having my carpet replaced and have torn our the old carpet and pad in our living room/dining room (15' x 26'). This carpet is at least 20 years old so the underlayment has many stains (some feel a little moist) and a small area that looks like it may have some mold. Anyway I was planning on removing these sections of 1/2'' particle board underlayment and am needing some guidance on the install. I have read in other forums (particularly linoleum forums) that stapling is the most recommended way to attached underlayment. This is what was done before and it seems to have held up well. I have also read some commentators suggest 18 gauge staples are fine, but one MFG of particle board indicated using 16 gauge for their product. The issue is that I don't own a crown staple gun and don't plan on doing this regularly so I need to weigh the pluses and minus of buying a pneumatic stapler for this project. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a 16 gauge stapler locally to rent. Please let me know if you have suggestions for a staple gun that would work for this project. Do I need to use 7/8" and 1-1/4'' or 1-1/2'' long staples. Do they need to be divergent staples? Thank you for the help.

Old 02-26-14, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
If you are putting carpet back down, just use nails or screws. The only time you staple underlayment (what you have is subfloor) is when installing vinyl or lino.

Old 02-26-14, 07:26 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
#1, What causing the moisture?
Pet stains, spills?
Moisture from below from no moisture barrier over a crawl space?
Is it really particle board or is it OSB? Big difference. Particle board looks like ground up saw dust, OSB is strands of wood fibers.
Particle board will swell up with just a change in humidity. One spill and is falls apart.

Old 02-27-14, 06:03 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies. joecaption1, what has caused the little moisture I see are spills and most likely pet stains. I feel okay about leaving some of the dry stains but others I definitely don't want to cover-up with the carpet.

The underlayment is definitely particle board which was commonly used in new construction in the Pacific NW especially in the 70s when my home was constructed.

It looks like I will just screw and glue the replacement boards into the tongue and groove then. Does that sound like the best option? Since my underlayment is 1/2" would 1-1/2" to 2" interior screws be a good choice?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: