Rubber mat over new carpet, will it harm the carpet?

Old 02-28-14, 12:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rubber mat over new carpet, will it harm the carpet?

We just got new carpet installed in our basement. I have a little home gym setup and am planning on using a 3/8th inch rubber mat to put my weights, bench, rack, etc on top of. However, I am somewhat concerned that the rubber mat may damage the carpet in some way. I have included a picture of the rubber mat.

Here is the exact rubber mat that I b ought: Industrial Rubber Mat Flooring | Flaman Fitness

Will this rubber mat damage my carpet? I called the store, and they said that it was vulcanized, so it wouldn't stain the carpet, but I am skeptical.

Old 02-28-14, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Unless you move it occasionally...you may get a color difference over time....just from wear and exposure.

You may want to consider putting down some plywood or hardboard (I used 1/4 pegboard), then the mat. Will still need to move it around once in a while.

Old 03-03-14, 09:38 AM
J
Yeah, I am leaning towards using some plywood underneath the rubber mat. I don't understand why I would still need to move it around though? Wouldn't the plywood prevent the rubber mat from staining the carpet?

Old 03-03-14, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If you don't move it occasionally...the rest of the carpet will show wear and/or stains from typical foot traffic and vacuuming while the area under the mat won't. If/when you sell, it would be very noticeable and probably require new carpet. If that wouldn't matter, then don't move it.

Old 03-03-14, 10:33 AM
J
Ah yes, that makes sense. There would be a "wear difference", but not any actual damage from the rubber mat or the plywood itself. Thanks for the clarification.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: