Can an experienced carpet layer do this?

Old 03-18-14, 07:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can an experienced carpet layer do this?

I have two side by side carpeted mini-bedrooms, each 10 x 10 feet. I recently removed the wall between the two to make one 10 x 20 foot TV room.

I now have this almost ten foot long bald strip going down the center of the room...

I happen to have a leftover swatch of this carpet, about 2' x 6', laying around ... and I'm wondering if a carpet layer who knows what he's doing would be able to cut a couple of strips and lay them down in this bald patch in such a way as to make it look pretty much seamless - making it look as though the whole 10 x 20 foot room had been professionally carpeted all at once.

I would even attempt it myself, but I can see where on each side of the "alley" the carpet bows down over the tack strip ... so I'm assuming that the existing carpet would have to be pulled up and a new tack strip layed down an inch over that the existing carpet and the new narrow strip would share, allowing for a seamless look with no dip between where once piece of carpet ends and another begins. I've never layed carpet, so I'm not sure I could do a convincing job.

Is this easy for a carpet layer to do? Or am I doomed to spending the money to have the entire room recarpeted (with the same carpet!) just to get rid of this ugly bald strip?

If it can be done, how much should I expect to pay for such a custom service?

The rooms are full of heavy furniture. Would a carpet layer need to have the entire room vacated, or does he just need access to the edge of the carpet that he would be working with?

Old 03-19-14, 12:23 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I know nothing about laying carpet but I think that any installer worth his salt is going to want to lift the carpet in one room and move it over making a single seam in the middle of the room. He would then patch the pieces on to the full carpet on the edge that is the most inconspicuous and that receives the least amount of traffic.

Old 03-19-14, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I'm not a carpet installer either but I don't believe a tack strip would be used [both of the existing strips would be removed] How well the patch blends depends on both how worn the carpet is and the expertise of the installer. I think both rooms would need to be re stretched to complete the job.

Old 03-19-14, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Yes it can be done by a good installer and no, if the rooms are already stretched tight, they would not need to be restretched. The carpet can be stay- nailed at the opening and a piece put in. Due to wear the new piece probably won't exactly match, but should be ok. You don't want tack strip in the opening, you would feel it every time you walked through.

Old 03-19-14, 02:29 PM
J
Thank you, Sam. You sound like you know what you're talking about. Any guess what I should be paying for a service like this? (Assuming I provide the strip of carpet, but no hardware or under-carpet.)

Old 03-19-14, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Probably cost $100 here, maybe 1-2 hours work at most. But prices vary across the country. I have been installing since 1973, but I'm mostly retired.

Old 03-19-14, 04:00 PM
J
Thank you, Sam. I appreciate the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: