Carpet advice for a stair runner

Old 05-08-14, 05:31 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet advice for a stair runner

I have wooden tread stairs in my home, and while they look great, my young kids slip on them when climbing the steps in their socks, and my mother in law slipped and broke her foot a few weeks back. My wife and I decided to look into getting a carpet runner.

There are 16 stairs and a landing in the middle. We don't plan to put the runner on the landing at all, so (I don't think) there's really a lot to use.
We went to 3 carpet stores, and we're totally confused.

The first guy told us we would be crazy not to use nylon carpet, because the stairs are a high traffic area and anything that's not nylon or SmartStrand will look like crap in 3-5 years. He showed us one nylon carpet as a sample, and said it would cost about $1200 (including installation). When I told him I thought that was too expensive he said we could do lower quality carpet and it would be cheaper, but not much. I shouldn't expect to pay less than $1000.

The second place we went was the exact opposite. He said it didn't matter what kind of carpet we use, and the look was all that we should be concerned about. He showed us some rolls of carpet he had in stock and said that the job would cost around $325 installed. Compared to guy #1, I was very uncomfortable with this... like he was just doing whatever he could to get us to buy something. I didn't get much confidence in his expertise.

The third guy I spoke to said a plush carpet would be ok, and anything will get matted with use, but a good quality will come back when vaccuumed. We looked at a berber carpet and he said he could bind it into a runner, with an approximate cost of $700.

So I've got cost all over the board, and carpet recommendations all over the board. I know basically nothing about carpeting. Can anyone give me some advice? Do I need nylon carpeting for the stair runner, since it will be used quite a bit? Is guy #1 taking me for a ride? Is guy #2 too good to be true?

Old 05-08-14, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Nylon carpet will last longer. It doesn't matter what style the carpet is, but a short nap will look good longer.A stair runner should cost no more than $200-$300 installed. Some stores sell runner by the foot already made. Shouldn't take an installer more than an hour or two to install it. There will be some damage to the wood steps. I have installed for 40 years. Takes me an average of about an hour to install a premade runner.
It will cost a lot more for a custom runner. But if they have premade in stock, should not be expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: