Need ideas for covering an 8" flooring gap???

Old 06-25-14, 04:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need ideas for covering an 8" flooring gap???

Hi all,
Looking for any and all suggestions/ideas for this one. We just bought a new house and the previous owner has built a couple of small half wall sections between the living room and dining room....we decided to take them out to open things up more. The problem is they build the walls on top of the existing carpeting and then changed the living room carpet after they were up and just butted it up to the walls. Now I'm left with a mess of a gap about 8" wide between the living room carpet and the dining room linoleum that has nothing there....how would I even start to cover this up?
New flooring isn't in the budget yet....we will be changing it at some point though. Should I attempt to make a really wide custom threshold or would that look ridiculous???
Thanks,
Rob

Old 06-25-14, 04:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Welcome to the forums Rob!

Could you 'steal' matching carpet out of a closet and use it to fill in the gap?

Old 06-25-14, 05:20 AM
M
That's a really good idea....I hadn't though of that. Unfortunately there are no closets in this room so no matching carpet.
I like your thinking though.
:-)

Old 06-25-14, 06:09 AM
D
Rob,

It depends on what you plan to do to the flooring eventually. Are you thinking about replacing the entire space or just the dining room flooring? If only the dining room flooring, you might try to create an 8" border around the entire space with decorative vinyl tile (cheap) or wood laminate (not as cheap but probably better looking). If you are going to replace the flooring soonish, a couple long decorative runners will probably be better.

Good Luck!

Old 06-25-14, 08:49 AM
M
Thank you for all of the great ideas and suggestions....after thinking about my options I think I'm going to try and make a custom hardwood threshold to cover the area. My friend has a full wood shop so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Thanks again,
Rob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: