squeaky subflooring

Old 08-04-14, 02:05 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
squeaky subflooring

Hello, I am pulling up old carpeting and screwing down subfloors. I plan on using 2inch deck screws and 1.5inch pilot screw. Unfortunately, I won't have the option to glue as I don't want to actually pull up the boards. I can use 6inch spacing around the edges and 8-10 inches in the field. My question is, if there is a loose nail, do I pull it and screw it? Do I replace nails with screws? Do the existing nails affect the 6 and 8 inch arrangement? I don't want to overstress the joists. Thanks, new homeowner

Old 08-04-14, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
What you plan will be fine. Pull all popped nails, but leave the ones secured. What will your final flooring be? If your plans call for another layer of subflooring, screw it down using 1 1/2" decking screws, but only in the field, intentionally missing the joists, and no glue.

Old 08-05-14, 04:47 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The final plan is not quite known. The floors are uneven. At first, we thought it was water damage. The plan was to pull those wavy boards and replace. But when we pulled the carpet up, it looks like those boards are fine. We have taken level measurements throughout the second floor. It seems everything is off to some degree. I think we will live with it and just get rid of the squeaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: