Disabled Vietnam Vet unhappy with rug company

Old 04-24-15, 02:10 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Disabled Vietnam Vet unhappy with rug company

I am a 100% disabled vietnam veteran, but I don't expect something for nothing. I just want to be treated fairly.
My wife & I decided to replace the carpet in our modest home . This has been our experience so far... We selected a small local company with a good reputation, so after looking at a number of samples & listening to a somewhat knowledgeable salesman . We decided on Shaw's "ongoing 3" color 701. It was estimated that we would need 936 sq ft...special ordered. We gave them a deposit of 2000.00. The installers showed up with the new carpet on the scheduled date, in the meantime, my wife & I emptied out the rooms to be carpeted. It had rained the night before and the driveway was wet, yet the installers were ready to roll out & cut the new carpet on the wet driveway. Not a good way to start a job ! My wife looked at the rolled up carpet & said "this is not what we ordered...wrong color & of less quality. We refused the carpet, but the business owner insists that this is what we ordered & that he could not refund our 2000.00, because the manufacturer would not take the carpet back. Is there a big markup on carpet ? I really can't prove that we were being had, so I am willing to meet the business owner halfway . What would be a fair settlement ? Your comments please...
Roger

Old 04-24-15, 02:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
What does your receipt say? It should note which carpet was to be ordered.

Old 04-24-15, 02:17 PM
K
If you did not have a written contract or invoice for the carpet you ordered, there is really not much you can do. The company may be willing to work with you to replace it with something else at discounted price, but he still needs to recover his out of pocket costs for the carpet. (That is assuming he agrees it is the wrong one, or is willing to overlook it and go with a customer is always right approach).

Old 04-24-15, 02:30 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi roger,
As asked, what does your contract or receipt say?
Did you pay with a credit card or check? If CC you may be able to dispute the payment.
Check with your local consumer protection organization to see what approach they recommend.

Bud

Old 04-24-15, 03:21 PM
R
I have a receipt, which states Shaws ongoing color 701 936 Sq ft & total cost (pad, installation & carpet) minus the 2000.00 deposit. My question is, how much did the company actually pay for the carpet ? He still has the carpet in his warehouse & can sell it at a reduced price, that should help offset the loss. I can't really tell if the carpet is really what we ordered, without having a comparison . If I knew what the company had actually paid for the carpet, I would be willing to settle on the 2000.00 refund minus the companies investment. Is that not fair ? I think we both would be happy. Thanks

Old 04-24-15, 03:52 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
On rare occasion, the sample boards that you use to order carpet are wrong. It happened to me, there were 5 colors switched around on a board we used to order carpet for 20 hotel rooms. So, a lot of carpet came in the wrong color. The company made good, got the manufacturer to return and re-ordered the correct carpet. I went to another carpet store and took their board to prove that the carpet board I used was incorrect. So, go to another store and borrow a board and see if color 701 is the same as what you ordered. If 701 is what came in, it is what you ordered, you may have live with it. Hopefully you can get some restitution from the carpet store. Sometimes you can call the manufacturer and the local rep will get in touch with you and play middleman. My guess is that the freight charged to deliver the carpet is the stickler. Offer the guy something, I'd be surprised if they could not return or at least resell the carpet.

Old 04-24-15, 04:05 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Maybe someone else had 701 mistakenly installed today . . . . and wasn't around to intercept the installation ?

I'd consult with my Credit Card Company regarding the DISPUTE . . . . that satisfaction guarantee is one of the benefits of using a Credit Card INSTEAD of a Debit Card where you don't have any body to go to bat for you.

Read the back of your last Credit Card Statement regarding DISPUTES. That feature is one good reason to place all larger purchases on a Credit Card . . . . even when you have the Cash in your wallet.

Old 04-24-15, 04:54 PM
R
Received 44 Votes on 35 Posts
My first thought is to go back to the store and find the sample that you looked at used for ordering and compare it to the roll of carpet they brought to install. If it isn't the same you have some ammo for your argument. I have a feeling it will be the same carpet.

Old 04-24-15, 05:03 PM
R
We called the credit card company right after we turned down the carpet....too late ! It doesn't look good at this point. I may suggest to the owner, " refund to me a 1000.00 & keep a 1000.00 to cover your expenses. "Angies list" is asking me for a review on that company...

Old 04-24-15, 05:16 PM
B
What steps have you taken to verify that the carpet delivered is or is not what you ordered? If it is what you ordered but you don't want/like it then you are at the mercy of the carpet company. If however it is not what you ordered then someone made a mistake and you should get the correct carpet or all of your money back.

As for determining what the carpet cost the store in order to suggest some sort of compromise, that step is premature.

Bud

Old 04-24-15, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
It will cost the store somewhere between 25% and 40% of what they paid for it to return the carpet. If it has been cut to room size, they probably can't send it back. Finding someone who needs the exact same amount is almost impossible. And again, if it has been cut up, the odds of finding someone with the same room sizes is not good.
I have had around 30 people through the years insist that the carpet they got is wrong. Only one actually was. The samples look a lot different in the home than In the store. Carpet will look different from room to room depending on the color of the walls.

Old 04-24-15, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 172 Votes on 138 Posts
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a case of buyer's remorse. I always bring swatches or samples home of whatever, to see if I like it at home.
His deposit would cover his expenses and his time.
I don't think it would be right to leave a bad review since so far, none of this seems to be the stores fault, as far as I can tell.

Old 04-24-15, 06:17 PM
R
"they treated me fair" is what I would I would like to put on their review. That is one of the reasons I am asking for your input. If I am wrong, I can except that, but if their expenses are more like around around 1000.00 & they want to make a 1000.00 on the deal, then I am not a happy camper...out 2000.00 & still have the old carpet. Oh, the carpet has not been cut...still in one roll. Again, thanks for all your inputs

Old 04-24-15, 07:18 PM
B
Just so you know, on the roll is still probably considered cut. The whole roll it originates from is very large. A remanents is what they are left with now. For them to sell that at cost means they are losing a profitable sale of another carpet, so selling just to recover something to offset your loss is not in their interest.

The real turning point here which you seem to be avoiding is to determine IF that is the product you ordered.

Bud

Old 04-25-15, 05:00 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You said:

I can't really tell if the carpet is really what we ordered, without having a comparison .
We said:

The real turning point here which you seem to be avoiding is to determine IF that is the product you ordered.

Bud
and we asked more questions. How is it that you can not determine what you originally ordered?

"this is not what we ordered...wrong color & of less quality.
All carpet looks and feels different until it is put down ON TOP OF PADDING and then it feels like what you imagined. It is the padding that adds the right feel to the carpet. I can't comment on the color as I am not there to see.

Here is a link to Shaw On Going III carpet - https://shawfloors.com/flooring/carp...-12-52s38/snow See if you can find your color match.

Old 04-25-15, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 172 Votes on 138 Posts
Just curious. How does being a disabled Veteran have anything to do with or play into this situation?
Why was that brought up anyway?

Old 04-25-15, 06:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As a Navy Vet of the Vietnam era I was wondering the same thing as Shadeladie. I respect all you sacrificed but I'm a bit offended you seem to think that is somehow relevant to this problem.

Old 04-25-15, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 304 Posts
I am a 100% disabled vietnam veteran, but I don't expect something for nothing.
Thank you for your service! However, as others posted, this has nothing to do with your issue.

I don't understand why rather then scraping the entire order, you don't work with the company to get the "correct" carpet, or pick out one that is a better match. As others said, the carpet in the store samples might not be an exact match of the one you receive. Dye lots will vary and the lighting in the store is not the same as what is in your home.

Not a carpet guy but I know carpet is not cheap. I woulds suspect it is 75% materials and 25% labor. I would work with them to get an install you can be happy with.

Old 04-25-15, 06:46 AM
B
Well, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When a senior goes into a store they are far too often taken advantage of because it is assumed they can no longer add and subtract. If a disabled vet rolled into a carpet store there could be an assumption that this guy has to pay for everything because he can no longer DIY. Assumptions, but I'm not there so I will take his word that he feels he is being taken advantage of in some way because of his disability. I'm hearing disabled and I frequently feel businesses take advantage of me and have worn a tag stating my disability just to get their attention.

Having said that, we have not heard back as to the determination as to IF this really was the wrong carpet. Drifting on the disability issue, IMO, should be avoided as it doesn't help the communications with the op. I do agree he could have omitted that part, but I have and will again wear my "I'm deaf" tag. I'm not looking for sympathy, just fair treatment and I feel that is all this op is looking for.

Bud

Old 04-25-15, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Just because it came in as a "roll", doesn't mean it wasn't cut off a larger roll. If wholesale cost of the carpet was $1000, it will cost them at least $250 to send it back. They may also have freight charges both ways. That is why they get a deposit. Years ago, when I ran a store, our cost of material was 60 % of the total bill. Then we added labor and profit.

Old 04-25-15, 07:35 AM
Taking him to small claims court. It will be worth the hassle. Filing charges are cheap and the judge will side with the consumer if your paperwork is in order. See if you can get someone to take pictures of both the carpet you ordered and the carpet they tried to install.

Old 04-25-15, 07:53 AM
K
The more I read this thread, the more I am inclined to think the carpet was the right one, but the OP either decided he didnt like it once he seen it full size, or didnt realize what the whole carpet would look like from the sample.

I think the company would be more than willing to work with you on this. Your unwillingness to do so shows something is fishy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: