What is this orange stuff I'm scraping off my concrete?

Old 05-08-15, 12:10 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is this orange stuff I'm scraping off my concrete?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and this is my first post. Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere, I tried to do a quick search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have heinous, wall-to-wall carpeting covering about 90% of my 705 sq/ft apartment. Only the bathroom and kitchen have been spared. I'm certain the previous owner's pets had a total free-for-all everywhere as there really are no square feet that are without conspicuous stains. To add to this, my rescue dog seems to be channeling her former street-life and contributing to the pheromones that emanate from the carpet (shudder).

Now that that's off my chest, I've removed a 4 x 3-ish area from my dining room and found some very sad-looking, chalky, crumbling underlay/insulation/art-project stuck to the concrete. Most of it scrapes off very easily and the rest seems to come off after being sprayed with some water.

My questions are: what is this stuff? And, could it possibly contain asbestos (I'm sorry if this is a completely ignorant, rookie question ). My building is about 40 years old and there is confirmed asbestos in the popcorn ceiling. I really don't think the carpet is that old but whatever this orange stuff is - might be.

Also, any thoughts on ways to remove it easier? I read ammonia somewhere?

This is more or less what my stuff looks like, except it's stuck to unfinished concrete and does not remove this easily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbs4SVnXZU

Thank you!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-15, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It is the high quality padding that has deteriorated and come loose from the carpeting itself and stuck to the concrete. It should come up fairly easily, as you say with light scraping and some water/soap. It is not asbestos, so rest easy. I would not use ammonia as it will be very difficult to breathe for very long. Buy a good slammer scraper and have at it from a standing position.

Name:  floor scraper.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  4.5 KB

Old 05-12-15, 10:37 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! That slammer looks great. The only thing is some areas are really caked on. Like, no amount of elbow grease will dislodge it. I went to Home Depot and purchased some industrial/professional "Goof Off" and a good soaking of that basically liquefies the glue and then I can scrape it off - but yes, like the ammonia, it reeks. Are there any other things I might be able to use for the really stuck parts that aren't as potent?

Old 05-12-15, 11:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Denatured alcohol does pretty much the same thing as 'goof off' and 'oops' although I'm not sure the odor would be any better. What type of floor covering are you replacing the carpet with? wondering how good you really need to clean it ?

Old 05-12-15, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure that some adhesives will stick where you used the goof off. Alcohol will evaporate with little or no residue.