Underlayment / finishing

Old 05-20-15, 11:15 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underlayment / finishing

We are renovating an existing office space and on the second floor we would like to add some acoustical properties to the floor to help with foot traffic noise, etc.

The current state of the floor is 3/4" plywood with carpet.

We are looking to in order from subfloor to finishing

Keep the 3/4" plywood
3/4" stall matt (5x7, 165lbs)
3/8" plywood (Glued)
Finishing carpet

GC says there is not enough weight on the 3/8" plywood and there could be issues properly adhering to the stall mat.

The other solution is glue plus some screws that would go through the 3/8, stall mat and 3/4" plywood. I'm thinking this would reduce the acoustical properties of the stall mat. Not sure by how much.

I've already purchased the stall mat so I want to use them.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-21-15, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The stall mat may be too giving for your furniture to sit on it without poking holes in the light 3/8" plywood overlayment. Using any mechanical fastener between the top and bottom subfloor layers will tend to re-couple the floor and allow sound transmissions. You are seeking to decouple the floor layers. Do you have a link to your stall mat? It may help us to see what you will be using.

Old 05-21-15, 08:23 AM
G
Below is the link to the product

Redbarn | Equine | Flat 5 X 7 X 34 | Red Barn

Old 05-21-15, 08:42 AM
G
As an option I'm looking at cork flooring instead of carpet tile. With cork flooring we can lay it right on top of the stall mat and do not require an additional layer of plywood over top.

Old 05-21-15, 12:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Cork and other rigid floating floors do require a sound deadening pad underneath them, but the rule of thumb for those floors is - "Thicker is not always better" when it comes to pad. Too thick of a pad can cause excess movement in the click lock joints resulting in fatigue and failure.

I understand this is an office situation but what exactly is the issue with noise. Shoes clacking on the floor, high heels clomping, or is it excessive creaking? I have reservations about slapping down a thick rubber mat and trying to finish over the top of that. It is unconventional for sure, but also not an intended purpose. Is it basically an anti-fatigue mat that usually is put in a barn stall?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: