What Carpet brands to avoid?

Old 04-04-01, 08:31 AM
Visiting Guest
My wife and I are to recarpet a house we are buying. Are there any brands in general that are inferior for the money? The styles we seem to like all seem to be comparable in price but we assume some carpet is better than others as far as wear is concerned. Any ideas? Any professional carpet people among us? In particular, my wife likes a Beaulieu of America #566 Butterbrickle brand (berber) we found. Is this brand quality or not? I have a sample and it is 15% BCF Nylon/ 85% BCF Olefin with and Avg. Face Weight of 60oz., Pile Density 4696. Thanks for ANY help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow

Old 04-04-01, 02:12 PM
Lauraa
Visiting Guest
Helpful website

I am replacing carpeting also and i found a very helpful website. http://www.ifloor.com. there is a page called carpeting 101 that has lots of useful information.

p.s. i am interested in 100% nylon myself.

Old 04-16-01, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I wouldn't say one mill was better then the rest. Or one to stay awat from either. One thing to look at is the backing. The most common residential carpets will have what is called "action-bac" for the secondary backing. The squares are called the pick. The more pick in an inch the better. Less fillers in the backing. Another thing to remember is the carpet is only going to look as good as the installation. There are many "hacks" out there, who are only out to make a buck. I warranty my installations for the manufactures rated life of the material, unless misuse or improper cleaning is detected. If they only give you a 1 or a 2 year warranty, be leary.

Old 04-16-01, 08:05 PM
Visiting Guest
I would like to add a little to what Perry said. Whatever the backing on the carpet (there are about 56 different ones), make sure that your installer knows its particular installation procedures.

The carpet you are looking at is most likely Action Back. Your biggest concern with this particular carpet is the yarn content -- Olefin. Olefin has no memory and will pack down in traffic lanes, even with a good pad. Nylon is more resilient and wears better, but it costs more.

Cushion is also very important. Many manufacturers of berber carpets, especially light colored ones, are voiding their warranties if rebond (bonded prime urethane - looks like little chips) is used. The problem with the cheaper qualities of pad is a yellowing of the carpet -- from the fillers used in the cushion. Slab rubber cushion has a similar feel and is a much better cushion, but the cost is also much higher. Carpet manufacturers require thinner and denser cushions for berbers than for conventional carpets.

If your retailer or installer is unaware of some of these issues, it's time to do some more shopping.

Good luck,

Jim
JMFloors
PS: Congrats to Perry on your CFI certification. Good job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: