Carpeting Stairs

Old 04-05-01, 11:29 AM
Visiting Guest
I'd like to carpet Oak stairs in a newer home. I'd like to have only the runner [step] portion of each stair carpeted, leaving the vertical riser exposed. Are there any products available that can be used for this? An employee in my local Home Depot suggested that such things do exist, and are called "Carpet Squares" or "Carpet Pads for Stairs". I haen't been able to find any information about these things. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-10-01, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
The Home Depot employee was correct. What I don't understand is why this person didn't show you where they were in the store. I have bought this product and I know they carry it in several different styles. Since I have 3 Home Depots close by I also know they don't all carry the same products.
You can also try a carpet store or anywhere that sells carpeting.

Old 04-16-01, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have done quite a few steps just like your talking about.
Get a remnant that is going to be more then enough for your project. Determine the width you wish. Row cut the carpet to the desired width. Then have the edges(sides) bound. Use tackstrip 2" less then the width of carpet and attach it on the back of the tread, leaving a 3/8" space from the riser to tuck the carpet into. Pad the tread and over the lip(bullnose) with a dense felt padding. Duct tape the edge of the pad where it goes over the bullnose, to prevent wear and the tread corner from cutting the padding over time. Cutting the padding the same width as the tackstrip(2" shorter then the width of the carpet) so the carpet will be 1" over the padding on each side. Use a framing square and cut across the carpet to get a square piece to start. Using an upholstery stapler, staple the carpet under the bullnosing. Then stretch with a kneekicker to the tackstrip on the top/back of the tread. Cut and tuck the carpet in the gully between the tackstrip and riser. Now either staple, use hotmelt glue(glue gun) or latex seamsealer and attach the sides where the carpet edge is bound.

Looks marvelous. Take your time!

[Edited by Carpets Done Wright on 04-16-01 at 11:55]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: