Carpet Wet From Water Pipe Burst

Old 11-25-15, 06:37 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet Wet From Water Pipe Burst

Had a water pipe bust above our drop ceiling in our basement. The carpet in the basement was very wet but no actual puddling. Probably 300-400 square feet of carpet? We used a shop vac to get what we could. Then rented a professional carpet cleaner to suck out water. We're now at the point where we can't get any more water out of the carpet with the machine but its still damp. We have had several fans running constantly and a dehumidifier.

My husband thinks that the carpet will be fine without pulling it up. Its a very low high traffic carpet, not a lot of cushion. However, I'm very concerned that we are going to get mold in the padding if we don't get it up. Its now been 48 hours since the incident.

If we leave the carpet down and hope for the best whats the worst case? I'm afraid we will get mold, and it will be difficult to eradicate before we are forced to install new flooring.

Old 11-25-15, 06:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
Worst case is you will get mold. If was wet for only a few days you shouldn't have any problems but if the drying process drags on for a week or more then mildew is a possibility. I've found you can not have too many dehumidifiers or fans. A carpet can hold many gallons of water so it comes down to how much water you can make disappear.

If you are left with a musty odor but not a full on mildew problem an ozone machine can do wonders. Some tool rental stores rent them. If going that route read up on their proper use and plan on being out of the house for at least a day.

If only the carpet got wet and you do get mold I would put on a repirator (gas mask style, not a paper dust mask). Pull up the carpet and roll it up and carry it out with making as little dust as possible. I don't sweep or vacuum after removing the carpet. I use a garden pump up sprayer and wet the subfloor with a bleach or anti mildew solution to kill everything before disturbing the dust. After that's dried then I use a shop vac with good filters to clean up the dust. Then I spray/soak the floor again and let it thoroughly dry. If you want an added measure of protection you can paint the floor but unless it's a rental house I just put carpet back down.

Old 11-25-15, 07:19 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
http://kitchenequipment.cnineo.com/i...-equipment.jpg

I worked flood damage for a short time. We used to float the carpets with that ^^ machine.
Raise the carpet enough to put the mouth of the machine under it. It will float like a magic carpet ride.

Old 11-25-15, 07:29 AM
A
Would you advise that we try to pull the carpet up to get the pad underneath to dry? Or is it okay to leave it all down? We pulled one area and if I stick my hand under I can feel that its damp in between the carpet and pad. Husband is afraid if we pull it all up since its wall to wall to get the pad to dry that it will be very difficult to get it all back down.

I've called around to see if anyone rents those machines or industrial fans but no such luck. We've just been using several regular fans.

Old 11-25-15, 07:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You may be able to salvage the carpet but the pad needs to be replaced.

We try to elevate a corner or edge so we can have a fan blowing beneath the carpet and then can often tack down that edge with our knee kicker instead of needing a pro to reinstall the carpet.

Old 11-25-15, 09:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
Oh, I missed that you had padding. I agree that it needs to go. It's nothing but a huge sponge. You probably won't get it dry before mildew becomes an issue.

Old 11-25-15, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Pull up the carpet and get rid of the pad. Carpet dries best with air blown under it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: