reinstalling damaged carpet pad

Old 04-18-01, 09:31 PM
Visiting Guest
I need some expert advice. Recent heavy rains flooded my "new" house. It damaged pergo and drenched carpet. The water was extracted quickly and everything dried out well. I've been waiting to fix carpeting and now I'm ready. Due to lack of funds ( homeowners didn't cover anything) I'm going to re-install carpet pad my self.How do I replace small areas of pad? Also , the carpet doesn't appear to need to be restretched. Can I just lay it back down? How do I get it to reattach to tack strips? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-01, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Make sure the pad if full dry! You don't want the black death mold growing under your carpet! I would invest in new padding myself. It is not as expensive as you might think.

You must powerstretch with a pole stretcher the carpet. That is why there are tackstrip. The tackstrip is there to hold the stretch. It is very important to stretch the carpet to increase the life of the carpet. Makes vacuuming easier too.

I cannot believe your insurance didn't help you!!! What insurance company do you have? So people will stay away from them. You pay the premiums for nothing? Sounds like a very unscrupulous company to me!!

Old 04-19-01, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Good ol' State Farm ! "Rising Surface Water" is not covered under most policies. We had flooding due to torrential rains which backed up on an enclosed patio and came into the house.Thanks for your advice. I'm in Texas too and have heard much lately about the black mold . All is dry so I'm ready to fix the carpet , that is , as soon as the drainage problem is addressed. Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-20-01, 01:27 AM
Visiting Guest
I just attended a seminar on mold problems. The short of it is mold is not dead just because the pad dries out. It's still in there and waiting for you to cover it up -- it likes darkness and needs food. The best food you can give it now is the latex adhesive bonding the carpet backings as well as the soil being tracked over it.

I have always recommended changing pad that has been damaged in a flood. The rain or ground water alone is full of germs -- food for mold. Don't take the chance. Mold will grow to other areas besides the pad and carpet and then you'll have real problems.

Jim
JMFloors

Old 04-20-01, 09:42 AM
floormantwo
Visiting Guest
momsquared, where are you in Texas? I may can get ya some help

Old 04-20-01, 10:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Iam in Plano. Let me know if you can think of anything. The pad that is remaining did not get wet. I am replacing with new pad but need to know how to attach the new stuff to the old. Do I use carpet seam tape or is there a tape to use for pad?

Old 04-20-01, 11:03 AM
floormantwo
Visiting Guest
Me again

Ya just bought a NEW home, big investment, do not screw it up, I tried to email you, but could not, there is some info i can give you, but would not want it all over the net, if you want to email me at: martincarpet@att.net i will give it to you .

Old 04-21-01, 12:11 AM
Thumbs up

Is it rebond pad? Use pad glue on the concrete at the seams. Don't use any tape. It could have noise transfer, and telegraph later.

Old 04-21-01, 08:38 AM
Visiting Guest
How would I know if it's rebond? It is 1/2" pad , all different colors, black , red , blue , etc.

Old 04-22-01, 12:19 AM
Visiting Guest
If it looks like little chips of foam, it's prob'ly rebond. Half inch is too thick and should never have been used. I imagine it's too late now.

You're not having much luck with your new home, are you.

Jim
JMFloors

Old 04-22-01, 01:39 PM
Thumbs down

As Jim said, " rebond padding is not recommended for any installation by the "Carpet and Rug Institute"(CRI).

The CRI is all Carpet and Rug manufactures along with the cushion manufactures, which together have come up with minimum standards for installation. I'll quote section 9.1 from the CRI minimum standards...

Selection of separate cushion- Contact the carpet manufacturer to obtain cushion requirments in order to prevent problems resulting from improper cushion selection and the possible voiding of applicable warranties. Inappropriate choice of cushion may result in accelerated loss of appearance retention, wrinkling, buckling, and the separation of the carpet backing or seams. Cushion thickness should not exceed 7/16"(11mm)

So in other words, your padding will void warranties on your carpet.

[Edited by Carpets Done Wright on 04-22-01 at 04:06]

Old 04-22-01, 07:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you guys for your replies. I guess it is too late as we put down the pad today. It is 1/2" but matches what was already down. I do plan to have new carpet put in but not for a while so I guess this will hold us. We're waiting to see if we have flooding again. No, my luck has not been good with this house. My husband asked me today if we could go home now! Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: