Not typical carpet underlayment thickness.

Old 07-08-18, 09:55 AM
Not typical carpet underlayment thickness.

Hi everyone. I have 0.6in thick and 7.5lb dense (numbers are weird because converted from metric) polyurethane foam mats which I'd like to use as a carpet underlayment. I'm thinking of glueing underlayment on the concrete floor(not a basement) and then glueing carpet to it. Should I worry about possible dents in the underlayment from heavy furniture? And what type of carpet is best for this situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-18, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no need to glue underlayment or pad to concrete for a carpet install. The pad is there, the carpet goes on top and everything stays put for the useful life of the carpet. While you are going off shelf for your underlayment, it should act the same way as traditional pad.

Old 07-08-18, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums from Russia.

I'm not the pro here..... just reading thru. Several issues I see. One is you need glue compatible with the poly foam that will stick to concrete. How durable is that foam ? You wouldn't want the foam to be separating/peeling off the concrete.

It's going to be difficult for us to help you on carpet in your area.

Old 07-08-18, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Side note that this is a traditional American Website and we deal with domestic issue. I see that you are from Russia, so you solutions may differ from what we do here in the states.

Old 07-08-18, 08:04 PM
Why would you be gluing carpet to the underlayment?
That would make it impossable to stretch it.
Why not just use normal padding?

Old 07-08-18, 10:54 PM
Thanks for replies! My initial plan was to strech it, but it appears that very few companies in Russia do it that way and a price for their job makes carpet flooring more like hardwood. As for DIY approach, knee kicker cost here $250, 4ft tack strip is $10, and I couldn't find power stretcher at all, plus delivery adds up $100 or so.
I read a few articles about carpets on American websites and they said that it's ok to glue carpet when stretching is impossible and area is too big.
I will gladly appreciate any professional advice on my situation.
Here are some pictures of the underlayment, it looks and feels pretty much like the one I've seen in the US

Attached Images   
Old 07-09-18, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can glue carpet to concrete, done all the time in commercial applications. The difference, is when the carpet is glued, you DO NOT use any type of padding underneath. The carpet is glued directly to the concrete.

Old 07-09-18, 06:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a method of installing that way called "double-stick" It was very common in the 80s and 90s. No reason that it won't still work. As long as the pad is glued to the floor and the carpet is glued to the pad, it doesn't need to be stretched. We always spread the adhesive with a long-handled paint roller.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/install...pet-25218.html