Carpet Tile Adhesive

Old 10-23-18, 07:28 PM
Carpet Tile Adhesive

I got some commercial carpet adhesive made by Interface that was pulled up from a store that shut down recently. There wasn't adhesive on the carpet tile but on the concrete was a green adhesive that didn't stick well but did a good job of preventing the carpet from moving. Any idea what this is and where to find it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-18, 06:31 AM
Commercial carpet tiles are usually stuck down with a "removable" adhesive. (I think 3M and others make it. A flooring store may have some or even a big box store but it usually comes in 5 gallon pails.)

You do not need much. Tiles are usually stuck down with a less than 100% coverage since the tiles stay in place pretty much by gravity. Adhesive is put down in a square pattern to hold the edge tiles in an area like a frame and the interior tiles are just laid in place and are held by gravity and friction against adjacent tiles.

I have used reclaimed commercial tiles in my vacation home and new ones at home and have not had to use any adhesive at all. The residual adhesive on the tiles will stick a little but depending on the size of the room a good fit against the baseboard holds them in place.

Adhesive is probably only needed in an area larger than 20' X 20' or if there is no baseboard, wall or threshold to butt the tiles up to.

Removable adhesive on concrete is removed with hot water and detergent.

Old 10-24-18, 07:14 AM
Cant upload a photo on mobile device but here is a link to what the floor looks like after removal. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zymuthyzeau1kq7/20181023_185926.jpg?dl=0

Old 10-24-18, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tiles are put down on a "Pressure Sensitive Adhesive" that is designed for carpet tiles. It allows Great bond in a stagnant state, but allows for removal and replacement as needed Once the adhesive is down, it should accept a new carpet tile without issue.

Old 10-24-18, 07:00 PM
Whatever they had on the ground didn't stay glued to the tile. I'm not really finding anything like that.

Old 10-25-18, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is not supposed to stay on the tile. It is made so if a tile gets damaged, you can easily pull it up and replace it or you can even take one outside, hose it off and put it back. It is a different system than the pressure sensitive adhesive used on vinyl floor tiles.

Old 10-25-18, 02:24 PM
So can you give me an example of what I need to purchase or order?

Old 10-25-18, 03:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go to a real flooring supply store, not Home Depot or Lowes and tell them you need carpet tile adhesive. The instructions on the can will tell you what size trowel to use.