Damaged New Carpet, What to Accept?

Old 12-04-18, 01:42 AM
Damaged New Carpet, What to Accept?

Hello.

I'm looking for advice on my course of action for brand new carpet that was either defective or damaged by the installer.

I purchased a higher end loop carpet (Anso, 45 oz) and there is a snag with about one inch of thread already missing. The hole is about one inch a way from the wall, but not in contact with any seams. If you push the carpet towards the grain it's not very noticeable, but you can see it from across the room if you're looking for it. It's surely going to be an issue in the future.

The installer was kind of a mess (never heard someone cuss at a job more in my life) and did a few things that weren't so professional. My assumption is that when he was in one of his expletave tirades he dragged his knife across the carpet and just snipped the loop and stuffed it.

Anyway, I know it needs to be addressed, but should I settle for a repair (probably a fill and glue), or should I demand a full replacement under a defect? From what I've read it seems I could have warranty issues if they just do a repair (and who wants a 24 hour old carpet repaired). I purchased the carpet though Costco, so I have multiple avenues to get this remedied (local shop, Costco, Shaw).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-18, 02:07 AM
If it wasn't installed correctly get on the phone with Costco and get them out there. Repair or replacement is up to you, you see the issue not any of us!

Just do it sooner than latter!

Old 12-04-18, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I second call Costco and tell manager what happened and tell him, her about installer. They need to know about bad experiences or they can't fix them.

Old 12-04-18, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would not accept a repair. That type of carpet does not hold up well if repaired. You paid for new, undamaged carpet. I would NOT accept any less, unless they also offer money back, then you have to decide if you can live with it. The repair will likely show over time. Most installers do not warranty a repair.

Old 12-04-18, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. Things were just adding up with this job (they also oversold me, I've got a roll of 20% waste on my living room floor too).

I've told them that they can give me a new installation date with a guarantee of a professional installer and a reduction in yards purchased, or the carpet and pad will be on the street by Friday afternoon and all credit card charges will be disputed. We'll see how it goes.

Old 12-05-18, 02:45 AM
got a roll of 20% waste on my living room floor
Just need to realize that depending on room size and carpet width sometimes it just works out that more carpet has to be purchased.

Need to do the math!

Old 12-05-18, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Marq1 is exactly right. With a loop carpet, you want as few seams as possible. Even more waste if there is a pattern.

Old 12-06-18, 09:13 PM
Again, thanks for all the input. IMO I thought they could have went 3 yards less and just seamed inside of the closet instead of having a solid cut int he closet, but perhaps that's standard.

If you don't mind, do any of you know if the following are signs of a bad installation? I have someone coming out to inspect the installation and am hoping to not get beat into a corner.

1. Along some points at the wall you can see that the carpet is raised above the tacks; if you step on it in those spots you hear the crunch of the tacks hitting the backing. Does that mean it was not properly stretched and hooked at those points, or is that to be expected to some degree?

2. If I grab the carpet with my fingertips at any point int he room I can lift the carpet about a 1/4 inch from the pad. Is that a sign that the carpet was not sufficiently stretched? In some spots it just looks "loose."

From what I saw the guy didn't use a power stretcher and knee kicked the whole room (12x13).

Old 12-07-18, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
It would probably be more helpful if you could provide some pics.

How to insert pictures

Old 12-07-18, 10:51 PM
First two pictures are of the "hole." The third picture is what I found when I ran my finger across the seam (it was all tucked in). The last picture is where it appears to be only tucked with no stretch and grab on the tack strip at all (I can grab the carpet with my fingertips and move it up and down along the baseboard).

Attached Images     
Old 12-08-18, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Not an authority, but I wouldn't accept that! That would bother the heck out of me. I've had carpets installed and never saw any of that stuff, nor was I able to pick any part of it up!
Not your fault you got a bad installer. They need to redo. I can't see them winning in court.
As for the overrun, well that happens.

Old 12-08-18, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He did a horrible installation. Don't accept any of it. I have been installing since 1973, I have seen worse,but not much worse. And never accept a kicked-in job. It will not be tight enough and will wrinkle. Besides, it violates installation standards and warranties.