carpet replacement cost

Old 12-19-18, 10:55 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
carpet replacement cost

I'd like to replace the carpet in my condo. I have no idea where to start... so many questions. Could someone give me a rough estimation on the replacement:

3 bedrooms including closet
a hallway
a set of stairs
a living room
total area is 700 square feet

my questions are:
1. Do I have to replace the pad as well, I am planning to rent the condo out?
2. How much does it normally cost altogether (materials and labor) hiring a professional to replace a midgrade carpet and pad?
3. Should I use Lowes / Homedepot installation service (usually "free basic installation"). Is it really "free" or this fee that fee on the day of installation?
4. If I were to hire a professional, where/how to find one that does not just charge a premium fee then send me a newbie just because they want to cut corner to make more profit.... might as well use Lowes/Homedepot if this is the case
5. What is the difficulty level to install the carpet myself. My main concern is the stairs...

Old 12-20-18, 12:34 AM
T
Received 39 Votes on 36 Posts
1) You don't "have" to, but usually when you need to replace the carpet in an owner occupied, the pad is pretty much trashed. Rentals are a different matter, it then becomes how long the carpet was there.

3) Yes it's "free" but they got to make a buck somewhere, your paying for it somehow. The risk with HD/Lowes is the installer is usually a contract price with the store and might be inclined to cut corners more than a independent company knowing you'll complain about HD/Lowes "installer" vs a company. Thus they don't run the risk of bad press. If you stay on top of the install it might work out.

5) Carpet installation is one of the few areas I wouldn't even attempt to tackle. The cost vs return just isn't there for me.

When I owned rentals I usually put in relatively low end carpet/pad as renters typically beat up flooring pretty quick. You rarely will get the life out of the carpet before it needs to be replaced for various reasons. You'll be purchasing approx 90 yds. Just go into HD/Lowes and take a look at prices, it's pretty easy to figure out costs. Make sure you also look into an independent. They can be just as competetive.

Old 12-20-18, 02:27 AM
Received 537 Votes on 497 Posts
I agree it's not really a DIY job, too many unique tools and tricks for a good job.

Ive know a lot of folks that have gone the HD route, lots that have used independent dealers, and a few that have used independent installers.

There is no right/wrong route, just got to get out and start talking!

Old 12-20-18, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
There is no "free installation". Lowes and HD mark up prices to cover the cost. The installers are independent contractors (far cheaper for the stores that way due to tax rules). They have to be paid. Most carpet stores will measure and give a free estimate. Get several written ones and compare them to see what you are getting. I have been installing for 45 years. Independent stores usually have better installers than big box stores. Independent installers are normally the best. We have enough regular clients to pick and choose on other jobs.

Old 12-20-18, 12:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 87 Posts
Carpet is installed one of two ways: glued down or tacked down. The latter is not a DIY job as the carpet needs to be stretched with this process and that takes tools the average person does not have. FWIW, we have found that using higher end carpets pays off for us as we've been able to keep the same carpet in most units for many, many years (tenants pay to have them professionally cleaned when they move out).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: