Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

Carpet replacement: independent stores vs independent installers

Old 12-26-18, 01:29 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am planning to replace my carpet. I am planning to go either the independent stores (Not big box store like HD or Lowes) OR independent installers, they will pretty much provide the full package; measure, deliver new carpet, and haul away the old ones.

I am not so sure about the independent installers....... are they just show up and install? am I suppose to pick up the new carpet and dump the old one? How do independent installers work?

Old 12-26-18, 01:35 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Stores like HD and Lowe's sub-contract out carpet installation, so the end-result is going to be the same. However, I personally feeI a little more comfortable going with one of these big box stores because the pricing is typically better as is the customer service. If any issues arise down the road with the install, HD or Lowe's is likely to have the better customer service, whereas you may have difficulty getting a smaller independent place to come back out to fix something. Tearing out the carpet and disposing of it is pretty standard, although you could save a couple hundred if you do it yourself. It is very simple, and actually kind of fun. Plus, you can inspect the subfloor to see if it needs sealing (e.g., if there are any stains from pets). The contractor isn't going to address those things.

Also, don't skimp on the padding. Pay a few cents more for the upgraded padding. Your carpet will last longer.

Old 12-26-18, 02:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
A buddy of mine is the department manager at a Menards. He tells people he has five installers; one who is good and four who are ok. If you want the guy who's good, you're going to wait for an opening in his schedule. If you want the work done soon, you're going to get one of the OK guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: