How to secure carpet after cutting to add wall

Old 02-26-19, 11:48 PM
How to secure carpet after cutting to add wall

My new home, which is currently under construction, will have a huge (56'x28') room with Shaw NV235 carpet, which I believe is a decorative berber. I'm planning to cut out about a 16'x15' section and put up walls for a gym. (No, the cookie cutter builder will not do this for me.) Should I cut the carpet exactly where the wall will be? If so, do I put down tack board at the edge of the wall and simply press the carpet down onto it? Or should I cut the carpet a bit short (scary thought to me) to stretch it to a newly laid down tack board at the edge of the new wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-19, 12:57 AM
Group Moderator
Cut it 1/2" away from where your wall bottom plate will be. Drywall will cover this 1/2"... so it is not really that short. (Drywall needs to be kept 1/2" above subfloor) Now assuming your carpet has padding and is not glued down, the carpet will eventually need to be folded back... any padding will need to be cut back even farther for the tack strip. After baseboard is on, the carpet will possibly need to be cut again and will then need to be kicked over the tack strip.

Old 02-28-19, 12:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cut it long in reference to the wall, add tack strips and then stretch the carpet onto the new tack strip. You trim after you stretch.

Old 02-28-19, 01:08 AM
It seems obvious after reading your replies. :-) Thanks for the advice.