Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

Best way to prevent 20" square carpet tiles from moving w/o adhesive?

Old 06-30-19, 03:29 PM

I'm placing these over a wood floor and will likely remove them down the road. Consequently, I don't want to use adhesive if at all possible. Is there another method I'm overlooking?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-19, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Carpet tape and velcro tape would both have adhesives of their own, but might be less messy. Carpet tape would likely be your best bet.

Old 07-01-19, 09:58 AM
How big is the room? How heavy are the carpet squares?

Usually in very large spaces the instructions suggest making a "frame" that is glued down and installing the squares inside the "frame" with no adhesive. Depending on the size of the "frame" and the ratio of tiles with adhesive it is called 10%, 20%, etc. adhesion with 100% being all tiles glued down. You can also just dab a spot of glue on the tile rather than full coverage. Adhesives are usually water based and can be removed although I agree that doing that on a wood floor is probably not advisable unless there are only small spots of adhesive to remove.

I have used rubber-backed, nylon pile commercial grade carpet squares in rooms as large as 20' X 20' with no adhesive at all. I have just installed the squares tight to the baseboard and let gravity do the rest. The best way I have found to trim the tiles at the edges for a good fit is to flip the tile over and place it against the wall/baseboard with the adjacent tile from the field overlapping it. Cut the lower tile using the edge of the upper tile as a guide. Remove the cut piece and flip the cut tile over into place with the cut edge against the wall/baseboard.

Old 07-01-19, 10:05 AM
Good insight, thanks guys! Also, I really like that tip to cut using another tile as the guide instead of trying to press against a wall. Weird how we can overlook the simple fixes!