Fix carpet seam and stretching??

Old 01-06-20, 07:21 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Fix carpet seam and stretching??

Just had wall to wall carpet put in, it is a 60 oz face about 1/2" tall in what I would call a plush style, no pattern to it. Over a 1/2 in pad.

Right in the middle of the living room the seam is obvious, I am not being picky, first thing you notice when looking at the carpet is about a 10" long piece sticking up. Inspecting it the backing on one side is overlapping the backing on the other side. Did not notice when the installers were here.

So first question, before I call, how should they repair this, is there a proper way to do it???

2nd question, I was here the entire time and did not see them use a power stretcher, only knee kickers. This is a large area 16X24 living room connected to 15X16 bedroom plus walk in closet.

Is not power stretching normal for some carpets??

Old 01-07-20, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
It can be taken apart and fixed. All carpet should be power stretched. It voids the manufacturers warranty if it isn't. You got some hacks.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 01-07-20, 09:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I think you got lousy installers. Your call whether you give them another chance or get someone better to fix this.

Old 01-07-20, 10:15 AM
Oh no, this guy is the best installer in the business, he told me so!

Thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-20, 08:54 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Oh no, this guy is the best installer in the business, he told me so!

I needed a good laugh and a smile this morning!

Old 01-10-20, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Local store owner asked me to work for him full time, (I am almost 72) I declined. I asked,can't you find any carpet installers? Only kids he said, and they don't care.

Old 01-10-20, 03:15 PM
I had this carpet installed by Home Depot. I do not care to use them much but they do stand behind their work.

Wife works with men that are in the construction business and asked them about carpet stretching, most of them said they never heard of power stretching carpet with only 1 saying it needed to be done!

The carpet and rug institute gives instructions on how to power stretch carpet.

Home Depots own install video shows how to power stretch carpet and rents the tools!

It is not only this carpet, I have been in Florida for 10 years and it is damn near impossible to get anything done right here. I'm 70 and do almost everything myself, disclaimer I am not one of those cranky, picky old guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: