Repairing Carpet Destroyed by Cats

Old 01-23-20, 05:54 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Repairing Carpet Destroyed by Cats

When I moved into my new house, my cats decided that they were going to destroy my carpet in some areas. I'd like to figure out the best way to repair it. I've attached pictures of examples. I have extra carpet from when it was installed. I think the cats have generally stopped, but I might also want to install trim strips on the doorways to make it harder for them to do it again.

Attached Images    
Old 01-23-20, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The correct way to repair it would be to cut out a rectangular piece slightly larger that the destroyed area. Cut another piece to fit and use a seaming iron to repair. A DIY repair would be to put seam tape under the whole patch, so it won't stick to the pad, . and use a hot melt glue gun to stick the patch down.I have done it both ways and have had success.
You can put the patch on top of the area to be replaced and cut around it to make sure it fits.

Mesha1025 voted this post useful.
Old 01-24-20, 06:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there a big difference in the quality of the two methods, such that I should consider buying a carpet steam iron?

Also, could I put something like this down where the carpet meets tile, to protect the edges from cats? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...E54H5371SGKJ3E

Last edited by Mahewa; 01-24-20 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 09:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Your cat will just move to another spot to scratch if you cover the area they like. Get several cat scratchers and place them around the house so the cat has approved places to work on their claws.

Old 01-24-20, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You can put down the metal. A glue gunshould hold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: