carpet selection for mountain cabins

Old 06-10-01, 11:44 PM
Visiting Guest
We are buying a cabin in the mountains and I am considering replacing the existing beat up carpeting with commercial carpeting vs. residential carpeting. I need something that will withstand much traffic,tracked in dirt and possibly snow. I would appreciate replies from cabin owners regarding carpeting choices they have made.

Old 06-11-01, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Only if your gluing it directly to the floor will a commercial carpet last. If you must have padding I would suggest a double stick installation, or a cushion back carpet. If you go the stretched in route, then use the thinnest most dense pad you can find(felt). The reason being, commercial carpets are very thin, the backing of the carpet takes a beating from foot traffic because there is nothing in the face to cushion the pounding. It will cause the backing to delaminate, and wear out quickly.

I always suggest a marbled sculptured, with a tight twist on the face yarns, in a rural inviroment for looks and doesn't show dirt as easy. The better the carpet, and the better tye pad, along with the best installation, the longer it should last. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-11-01, 06:06 PM
T
Cabin carpet

I have a mountain cabin in which I put very inexpensive olefin commercial carpet over pad. It is serving me well. After 5 years, it still looks like new. There is sand from the river in summer, mud when it rains, snow and ice in winter along with wood chips and ashes. For the most part, I just take the broom and keep the major portion of what gets tracked in out the door and vacuum before I leave. I bought an inexpensive carpet on purpose because I knew it would have to hold up to some tough challenges so I didn't want to invest a bundle. Again, I have been pleased.

Old 06-11-01, 06:50 PM
Question

What padding did you have installed under this better then life level loop carpet?

Old 06-11-01, 08:21 PM
T
Carpet Pad

3/8" 8# Commercial Pad. No problems to date.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: