Staircase Prep for Carpet Install

Old 06-24-20, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staircase Prep for Carpet Install

I plan to get a local firm to install carpet on this staircase. They are sending a sales/estimator person Friday. Would be much obliged for any expert feedback.

I think I would save labor $$$ by doing the prep work myself. Those trim pieces will be pulled out, and I reckon the strings will need to be sanded and painted before the carpet installed. That make sense? How would you most efficiently pry out those trim pieces?

Assuming the carpet will go wall-to-wall, what would you choose to put there if it were your place? If it was a car, I'd like it to be the Honda Accord of stair carpet -- not a Lexus, but not a Kia, either.

This is a townhouse and I don't have kids in the home so I'm looking more for appearance and quality than durability. Safety is a thing, especially when elderly guests are navigating 'dead man's curve' at the bottom there.

Cheers, and many thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

​​​​​​​

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-20, 10:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
The shoe mold needs to be removed prior to carpet. It's always a good idea to do the painting first even though you may need to do some paint touch up after the carpet is installed. The risers should be caulked to the skirt board although some of those gaps look kind of wide.

Old 06-24-20, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
Just make sure they either kick the carpet on with a knee kicker or use a stair stretcher. Some guys just push it into the gullies with a stair tool, and that won't be tight enough. Since those are box stairs should only take about 3 hours or maybe even less to install.
carpet is usually cut 3 inches wider than the steps and rolled under on both sides, that allows the installer to adjust if the steps are different widths. The pad will be cut back on the sides, so the rolled under carpet won't be higher than the rest of the step.

dusibellissimo voted this post useful.
Old 06-24-20, 04:36 PM
Received 277 Votes on 258 Posts
Removing qtr round is all that is needed, the wall to wall carpet will cover everything else.

BTW, I always paint AFTER carpet, why do it twice after it gets all scuffed up!

Old 06-25-20, 03:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
IMO it's quicker/easier to paint first and then touch up after the carpet install. Even if you have to completely repaint at least you shouldn't have to paint all the way down to the carpet. When painting after carpet you need to either use a shield or tape the edge of the carpet.

Old 06-25-20, 04:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Many thanks to all for the feedback and info -- great stuff. Learned a lot. Cheers.