Pulling up carpet with asbestos(?) tile underneath

Old 10-14-20, 12:50 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pulling up carpet with asbestos(?) tile underneath

I want to pull the carpet out of my basement and replace it with laminate flooring, but I believe there may be asbestos tile underneath. I'm not certain how the carpet is secured onto it (a corner pulled up relatively easily) and don't want to have any issues with asbestos. What is the best way to handle this? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-20, 03:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
I would not panic until you are sure you have asbestos tile underneath. Peel back your corner more and measure the size of the tiles. If they are 12" it likely does not contain asbestos. If the tiles are 9" there is a good chance it contains asbestos. Those sizes are not 100% accurate ways to determine if it contains asbestos. Only a test or an experienced eye can tell you for sure.

If you are only removing the carpet and putting down laminate I would not worry too much. If you suspect that it might be asbestos tile do not scrape, sand, break or remove it. Leaving it in place is OK if you cover it with something so it can't be disturbed.

Old 10-18-20, 07:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Many 12" tiles also contained asbestos. But if you cover them it will be safe. That is Kangaback carpet. It was supposed to be laid loose,but some people glued it.