Paging Rug Doctor

Old 11-06-20, 12:18 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paging Rug Doctor

Have a tight berber that is a titch over 20 years old. It's the emergency back up house, so it is "high traffic" but only sporadically (few times a year). Never been cleaned, other than vacuuming. It looks fine, to my eye.

Moved the couch the other day and could definitely see a difference in the carpet. Could also feel it, walking barefoot. (Plus we tend to eat on the couch, so the area directly in front is going to be dirtier from occassional spills, plus our feet are always there...)

So now I have it in my head I need to deep clean it. Like, OCD-level in my head.

BUT I know that if you're not careful, or use the wrong stuff, the detergent actually makes the carpet DIRTIER than not doing anything at all. So the OCD is kicking on that, as well.

It's about 900 sq feet, and in that includes a bed, a dresser, and a bookshelf (none of which is moving for cleaning).

So am I better off not doing anything?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-20, 12:44 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
So why not call a local reputable carpet cleaner and have it cleaned, why do you think having carpets cleaned makes then dirtier?

Old 11-06-20, 12:56 AM
R
For the size and frequency of use, calling in someone seems like overkill?

As for "making them dirtier", I'd always heard - maybe it's wive's tale (but I saw it on old threads in here, too) that the extraction doesn't get all the soap out, and also leaves dirt closer to the surface of the carpet. So the tackiness of the soap in the weave attracts more dirt.

What I'd heard, anyway.

Old 11-06-20, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
"...the detergent actually makes the carpet DIRTIER than not doing anything at all."
I think you need to research how cleaning a carpet can make it dirtier because rugs have been washed & cleaned for more than a millennia.

Old 11-06-20, 10:54 AM
R
Thanks for the feedback, Dane! Where I come from, asking others about their experience and experts for their advice is called "research". One way to do that is - let me check my notes.... - is posting in the DIY forums!

You might want to get this info to your co-moderator, as well:
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/r...g-machine.html

Old 11-06-20, 12:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
No rug shampooing will leave the carpet completely dry so there will always be some water/cleaning solution left in the rug. Every rug shampooing machine I have ever seen (professional or rental) does not recirculate the water. Only clean solution is applied to the rug. Then the water solution is vacuumed out. Maybe some inexpensive home machines recirculate the water but even then just like using a mop & bucket the net result is the removal of dirt.

Old 11-07-20, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Many carpets have sprayed on stain resister, some have it in the yarn before the carpet is made. The sprayed on will be removed when the carpet is cleaned, so they do get dirty easier. Also, many machines like rug doctor, do not get all the detergent out, so dirt sticks worse.

Old 11-07-20, 02:48 PM
R
Hm. I was just a dumb kid when I bought the carpet. Paid extra for good padding but have no idea what I did about what kind of stain resistance.

Any suggestions? Get a Rug Doctor but just use hot water? Or say, Hey - they look great. Leave well enough alone?

Old 11-08-20, 09:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Try to avoid steam cleaning if you clean them. I have seen carpet shrink 3 inches with a steam cleaner. It can also make carpet brittle. If they look and smell ok,leave them alone.

Old 11-08-20, 09:07 PM
R
OK "uncle"!!!! I'm going to leave well enough alone I think. Thanks for the input!