Creases in padded carpet

Old 08-15-22, 11:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Creases in padded carpet

Bit of background story -

I have a 11x22 ft mudroom in the first level of my house. Concrete floor. Its the main area I walk in to from my garage. I do not know how I want to build out this area yet but it will eventually get a storage area. coat closet, etc. I am atleast a year away from building it out as other projects are taking priority. It had nasty 80's carpet that stunk so I ripped it up and wanted a cost effective solution to get by for the next year plus.

I purchased padded carpet from a big box store (Menards).
This is what I purchased

Orion Carpet Tuscany Level Loop Carpet 12 ft. Wide at MenardsŪ

I purchased the last 25ft of the roll. I got home and laid it out and there were creases in the carpet that went through to the pad. I assume from being rolled poorly on the suppliers roll. I cut the carpet to size and hoped it would work out. It did not get better in the 2 weeks it laid in the room. I decided to finally tape it down on two sides. Then used a knee kicker to pull it slightly snug(not actually stretching the carpet). I left it taped down for 2 days with no improvements.

I went back to Menards for advice. They suggested the same thing. That it was rolled up poorly causing the crease. They assumed that if it had not worked its way out in 2 weeks that it probably would not get better. They suggested I pull it up and exchange it for some out of a brand new roll. I showed up and swapped the rolls. Brought the new roll home and unrolled it to find the same thing. Only difference was the crease pattern was a bit different.

Any suggestions here? I understand this is suppose to be a low cost short term solution but I can't handle walking into my house everyday to see a creased pattern in my carpet. I've read a bit about steaming the carpet with an iron but I am unsure if thats a proper solution for padded carpet.

First picture is from the first roll.
Second picture is the second roll.

Popular Reply

08-15-22, 12:46 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
It really helps if you cut the carpet to its final size so it can lay flat. It also needs a small gap around the perimeter so the carpet has somewhere to go as it flattens. But, carpeting like that sometimes doesn't flatten out and creasing is semi permenant.

Old 08-15-22, 12:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
It really helps if you cut the carpet to its final size so it can lay flat. It also needs a small gap around the perimeter so the carpet has somewhere to go as it flattens. But, carpeting like that sometimes doesn't flatten out and creasing is semi permenant.

sam floor voted this post useful.
Old 08-15-22, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
The rubber backing can get distorted. It actually makes the backing wider than the top.

Old 08-15-22, 02:41 PM
J
The carpet in the first picture was cut to size to fit the room. It was left like that for 2 weeks with no noticeable improvement.

The second picture is the second roll of carpet that I quick laid out in the room to see that the second roll still had the same creasing issue.

Old 08-16-22, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
If it is cut to fit the room, it can;t flatten out, It needs a space around the edges.

Old 08-20-22, 07:24 AM
J
Understandable. What's the best practice for this? Start out cutting it say 1/4" short.. then trim it another 1/4" at a time if/when needed ?

Old 08-20-22, 10:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, that is a good plan. Usually it doesn't need to be trimmed again unless it wrinkled badly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: