carpet glue on ceramic tile

Old 10-09-01, 08:58 AM
Visiting Guest
I cannot imagine why anyone would want a carpeted bathroom with 4 children, but that's what I had until, predictably, the commode overflowed. Now I have a 1970's ceramic tile floor with carpet glue squiggles all over it. We successfully removed the tack strips, and now it's just reeeaaallly ugly. It's a very small room, maybe 5x8, so something involving scraping isn't out of the question. Is there a solvent which will remove or at least soften this stuff? Oh,yeah- what should we use as a transition piece from the bedroom carpet to the tile, and how to affix that? Thanks so much for any help. You all sound so knowledgeable!

Old 10-10-01, 04:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Charcoal lighter fluid! Pour a small amount on a clean rag, and wipe it over the glue area only several times. Don't pour it on the floor!! Let it sit for about 30 seconds and wipe it again with the same rag. It may come off after several tries. If it is stubborn, use on old tooth brush to loosen it after wiping it with the rag and lighter fluid.

Old 10-10-01, 08:53 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Charcoal lighter fluid is highly flammable. But many solvents will be. The question is, can you keep the glue, solvent, and mixture out of the grout? If it gets in the grout, you will have to remove the grout and re-grout.

You did not mention tile size, but if it is bigger than 1", I'd give serious consideration to using single edged razor blades in holders.

Old 10-11-01, 04:44 AM
Visiting Guest
glue removal

Thanks, guys- I knew I could count on you. I doubt I can keep the lighter fluid out of the grout, as the glue is there, too. The tiles are 4"x4". Can I just remove a little of the grout with a grout saw, say 1/4" deep or so, and repair? Will the razor scraper scratch the tile? It's otherwise in fairly good shape.

Old 10-14-01, 05:39 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
removing carpet glue

If you have not already done your job it can easily and SAFELY be done using the PEEL AWAY 5 product. It does the removal within 1/2 hours effortlessly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: