Laundry borax on carpet ok?

Old 12-22-01, 06:45 AM
sciguyjim
Visiting Guest
Question Laundry borax on carpet ok?

If a carpet was cleaned with a solution of borax in water would the borax hurt the carpet? This is just a cheap carpet, I don't know what it's made of. On another forum someone advised against using dish or laundry soap to clean carpets because of ingredients that could break down the fibers. I don't see a problem here but I thought I'd ask.

Old 12-22-01, 08:20 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cleaning carpet with borax

Borax is frequently recommended for spot cleaning and deodorizing carpet. 20 Mule Team Borax is 99.5% pure borax, a naturally occurring mineral consisting of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. The remaining .5% is trace minerals. It is a good idea to test for colorfastness before using on fibers. Forum members tend to report success using ammonia/water solution in DIY carpet cleaning equipment rather than soaps and cleaning products that leave residues.

Old 12-22-01, 06:10 PM
sciguyjim
Visiting Guest
When borax is used to clean or deodorize a carpet how much borax is used per gallon of water?

You mentioned using ammonia in water to clean. I'm a little confused about the ammonia. Is it the ingredient that is supposed to loosen the dirt? Or is it supposed to soften the water so it wets the carpet better?

Old 12-23-01, 08:41 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cleaning carpet

There is no substitute for the certified professional carpet cleaner who has been certified by the Carpet Rug Institute (CRI). Most carpet manufacturers recommend a professional cleaning every 18-24 months. A professional has the proper equipment, the big truck with the hoses and powerful extractor that can remove excess moisture that can cause mold/mildew and delamination of carpet backing. They also have the ability to maintain hot enough water temperature (180 degrees) for proper cleaning and restoring the memory of the fiber twist. In addition, they use quality cleaning products that do not leave residues that attract soil.

Regular vacuuming with more frequent vacuuming in high traffic areas along with attending to spots with the proper spotting solution is the key to keeping carpet looking good. The DIY cleaning equipment can be used between professional cleanings, but it should not be a substitute for it. Research of DIY carpet cleaning tips on the internet sometimes makes me wonder how long some people's carpet will last if they follow some of the recommendations. The worst recommendation I ever read was a forum post that recommended cleaning spots on carpet with oven cleaner!

Borax is typically used as a laundry booster, adding 1/2 cup to the washer along with regular detergent. Because it is alkaline (pH about 9), it improves cleaning. The Dial Corporation states that it is safe for all fibers (except silk and wool) UNLESS they have pH sensitive dyes. Manufacturers of stain resistant carpet caution against use of cleaners with a high pH, recommending a pH of less than 10. There is no way to know if dyes are pH sensitive or not. Thus, testing of any cleaning product or home remedy should be done in an inconspicuous place before using. Ammonia has a pH of 11. Forum posters do report successful cleaning with ammonia, but they have never reported the long-term effects on carpet. Borax and ammonia, like other spotting solutions, are typically used for the occasional spot on carpet and not for regular cleaning of the whole carpet. After using spotting solutions, it is usually recommended that the area be rinsed by blotting with water.

My research revealed one recipe for a borax carpet cleaning solution: 1/3 cup borax in 4 gallons of water. Ammonia cleaning solution: 1/2 cup in 1 gallon of water. Rinsing solution: 1/2 cup white vinegar in 1 gallon of water.

Besides using cleaning agents that can harm carpets, the DIYer sometimes overwets carpet when cleaning and the equipment is not powerful enough to extract the excess water. If carpet remains wet longer than 48 hours there tends to be mold/mildew problems and sometimes the adhesive softens and the carpet backing delaminates. Dish soap and products containing soap will leave residues that attract soil like a magnet. Laundry detergents and household cleaners and those that are labelled "oxy" whatever are not recommended because of long-term effects.

Old 12-23-01, 01:31 PM
sciguyjim
Visiting Guest
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer. I guess I never thought about carpet cleaning as much as I maybe should have. I'll keep your tips on file.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: