carpet laying (seams)

Old 12-29-01, 12:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Question carpet laying (seams)

How do I seam carpet together? I just laid the carpet between two rooms and left some overhang until I find out what I need to do to seam them together.

HELP !!!

Old 01-02-02, 11:55 PM
Visiting Guest
What method of installation did you utilize?

Stretched over pad, glued down, or double glued down over pad ?

Old 01-03-02, 01:39 AM
Visiting Guest
carpet laying (seams)

First, your response wasn't very helpful. I didn't ask about hacks vs. professionals.

I did this myself and thus far its a darn good job and I'm just a home owner...definitely not a professional carpet layer and as it turns out I didn't need one.

I have a concrete slab which I raised with a wood floor over it and yes I put a plastic covering over the concrete due to the sweating, then placed the wood floor over that. Then I put the carpet tack strips all around the edges as usual and put the padding down on the inside of the strips so as not to cover the tack strips.

The only thing I didn't know about was how to get the seams joined so they wouldn't be obvious and that was my question.

Old 01-03-02, 02:56 AM
Visiting Guest
carpet laying (seams)

Stephen...thank you for clearing that up.... I see now that it is his signature (one I would change by the way)....

I see that his 'response' was only to ask me a question... THANKS.

Old 01-04-02, 10:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LOL! Paul glad to see you here!

I like your tag line. It stands for what I believe in too.

First off, the seam should be made first before the rooms get stretched. The way you have done it, there will be no stretch on the carpet at the doorway. It's called a dead seam. Wrinkles are guaranteed to appear soon.

Carpet grain should always fall the same direction in both rooms, or the two pieces at the seam will look like different colors or tint.

Depending on the direction of the grain at the doorway, row cutting, or using a straight edge to cut a good clean edge for seaming. Row cutting has the best results, but you will need some special tools to do so(cushion back cutter and a awl)

Using carpet seam sealer(latex) on just the carpet backing, cut edge of both pieces, and let dry 15 minutes max, but test to be sure it is dry.

Besure to cut your carpet so the seam is directly under the door when it is shut. Now using a hard surface under the seam area, on top of the padding(1/8" masonite with a string attached) Place your seam tape and iron(set on 3, so its not too hot) on the masonite and center it under the carpet to be seamed. Count to 10 and move the iron all the way to where the tape isn't melted yet, and then push the carpet into the hotmelt glue, making sure the edges are together, and no nap yarns are caught in the glue. Quickly using a carpet tractor/roller press real hard downward as you roll it back and forth on the newly seamed area to push the hot melt into the carpet backing. Now place a wood 2x6 on the carpet seam and add weight. Push the iron another iron length and repeat. After it is cooled off. Using the string on the masonite to remove it from under the carpet. Doorways require you to sometimes fold the carpet back to get the seam board(masonite) outfrom under the carpet. Now that the seam is done and cooled off it is time to polestretch, not knee kick away from the seam in both directions. Then set the entire wall to the left or the right, which ever is closest to where you just stretched away from the seam. Now stretch the entire opposite wall away from the wall you just set. Now set the entire wall the doorway seam is on. Then continue stretching the rest wall you started on away from the seam.

There did that answer your question.

Did I already say I liked Paul's tag line!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: