carpet seam repair

Old 01-06-02, 06:00 AM
toddy355
Visiting Guest
Question carpet seam repair

Hi my question is how do you repair a existing seam? The problem that I am having is that it seams that just the fiber is comming apart the seam. The seams are still fully intaked. when the carpet is vacumed the fiber pulls out a little more hate to just cut it off is there a way to repair it. The carpet is a berber on a foam pad believe the pad is 5/8 thick carpet was professionally installed 3 years ago. Thanks.

Old 01-08-02, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First off...

If it had been installed professionally they would not have installed it over any padding thicker then 3/8". I hate to tell you this but ALL WARANTIES THE CARPET MANUFACTURER HAS ON YOUR CARPET ARE NOW VOID!!!! Delamination is guaranteed to happen before the life of the carpet is up.

The reason it is coming apart at the seam. They didn't use seam sealer!!! You didn't get professional educated installers, you got the HACKS, they where there to make a quick buck. These are the guys that give me a bad name. I get a little bent when I hear this happening to a homeowner.

Now How to fix it.

Go to Home Depot and get a bottle of latex seam sealer. Squirt the seam sealer down into the backing of the carpet from the top. Using an ice pick, awl or jewlers screwdriver. Make a loop and poke it into the backing down into the latex sealer. You can tell what needs to be poked down by the nub of latex left on the yarn when it pulled loose.

Old 01-08-02, 02:04 PM
toddy355
Visiting Guest
Will try

Thanks for letting me know how to repair the carpet I will do that.
and buy the way after seeing what you stated about the padding I went and dug out the reciept and the padding is 1/2 ironside pad.
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: