Choosing carpet

Old 01-06-02, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Choosing carpet

We are remodeling our home office and need to buy new carpet. I've been to several stores looking over samples, but I'm getting more and more confused. The salespersons I've dealt with don't seem to be very helpful. That is why I'm turning to the experts....all of you! Our office is very busy, with lots of foot traffic. The carpet needs to be durable and stain resistant. I want to get a low level loop carpet. Which is better, olefin, nylon or a blend? What other characteristics should I be looking for when buying carpet? And what about padding? I'd appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-06-02, 03:45 PM
SwEetAngL
Visiting Guest
Carpet

Chase,
I would suggest going to www.carpet.com, then click on Carpet University and that is where I found this information. There are great people on here who will give you much more expert advice, of course I'm not an expert, but I did think this site might be helpful to you. I found the following on this site and this is the kind of carpet I would suggest :

Level Loop Pile
Level loop pile is made by weaving even loops of yarn into carpet backing at both ends. This type of carpet is very strong and track resistance because of its strong loops. Higher loops create a more luxurious appearance. Level loop piles with short and densely packed loops are easy to clean. They prevent dirt from filtering into carpet. This type of carpet is ideal for high traffic areas.

Nylon
Nylon is the most popular fiber (about 90% of residential carpets and 65% of all carpets). Nylon is a good choice for all traffic areas because it is durable and static free, maintains fiber height, and resists soiling, staining, and mildew. Nylon fibers, which are dyed after production, maintain color. Some nylon carpet fades with sunlight. Nylon comes in continuous or spun fibers. Spun carpet is made of short lengths of fibers that are spun together. Thus, continuous fibers are less likely to unravel.

Old 01-07-02, 04:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Choosing office carpet

Take a look at the commercial carpets. If they are durable enough for commercial offices, they should serve your home office well. You may find that they are more affordable than residential carpets. Sweet Angel is correct about nylon being more durable than olefin, especially in high traffic areas. Solution dyed nylons will not fade. A carpet rated for medium to heavy traffic over 3/8" 8# pad should serve you quite well. You might find a dealer who has a remnant that is just the right size for your home office.

Old 01-08-02, 02:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks a bunch

Thank you Sweet Angel and Twelve Pole for your replies. You've given me lots of helpful information! I'm off to check out carpet.com right now. I knew I came to the right place to get help. Thanks again.

Old 01-08-02, 02:49 PM
SwEetAngL
Visiting Guest
anytime chase!
Tristina

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: