Christmas Tree Safety

Closed Thread

  #1  
Old 11-25-02, 05:49 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Christmas Tree Safety

Christmas Tree Safety
From ChristmasTrees.com

Tips

Always choose a freshly cut tree. To test a tree, strike the stump down on a firm surface. If needles fall off, the tree is too dry.
Consider buying a live tree instead. You can plant it later to enjoy it for years to come. Click here for Information on using and planting a live Christmas Tree.

When you are ready to set the tree up cut off 1/2 to 1 inch from the bottom of the tree before placing in the stand which should be filled with hot water (not boiling, but around 130-160 F) as soon as the tree is set up. The tree could absorb as much as a gallon of water the first day.

Use wire or nylon cord to secure the tree to the wall or ceiling to prevent it from being knocked over by children or pets
Place the tree away from heat sources and, of course, from sparks and open flame.

Always keep the tree well watered. Check and refill often.

Use only noncombustible decorations.
Check and replace any worn or damaged light sets. It is a good practice to replace any set that is more that four or five years old.
Use only U.L. or F.M. approved light strings; Spot or floodlights should only be used on an artificial tree; NO CANDLES!
Avoid overloading electrical circuits or creating "octopus" connections. Do not use cellophane. There is no way to make it flameproof.

Treat trees with a Fire Marshal approved flame retardant.
Do not use cotton batting -- including Santa's whiskers -- or paper decorations unless they have been treated with a flame-retardant treatment.

Disconnect the lights at bedtime or when unattended
Use miniature lights that produce less heat.


Make sure there in an operational smoke detector installed nearby.

Remove discarded wrappings and packages from the house immediately and never burn them in the woodstove or fireplace - it could cause a chimney fire. Do not burn tree branches in the fireplace - it could throw off a large amount of heat and cause a fire. Christmas trees also cause an oily soot which may damage the fireplace.

Christmas Tree Safety. Retrieved 25 November 2002. http://christmastreesafety.com/
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-25-02, 06:31 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Great!!
 
Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'