Property in apartment hallways -- fire code violation?

Old 06-21-12, 11:05 PM
Property in apartment hallways -- fire code violation?

I am a fire department cert program participant who completeda 14 hour course and am now trying to implement the safety information I learnedwhere i live in my apartment community. A question has come up of whether it issafe to allow shoe racks and other property like plants and even picture frameswith glass in hallways. I say it is a bad idea, in the event of a quake orfire, the shoes will spill and trip persons when trying to exit. I think mostpeople agree this is a possibility, but don't take the possibility seriously.Do you know if there are any specific fire codes that prohibit this practice?Thanks,. I appreciate what you provide the community in safety information andtraining. Your answer would help settle the question. Yours truly, Tom

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-22-12 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Fixed font size
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-12, 01:35 AM
Group Moderator
And on what planet do you live on that personal property such as shoes in public hallways wouldn't be stolen?

Old 06-22-12, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Possibly he means inside the apartments?

Or possibly since it's Koreatown in LA people do remove their shoes before entering? My wife says it was very common when she lived in Japan.

Old 06-22-12, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Possibly he means inside the apartments?
Well I know the government can be intrusive and careless of personal rights but I can't imagine them telling people what do in the hallways inside of peoples apartments and houses. The title does say Property in apartment hallways not hallways in peoples homes. Maybe Tom will be back to explain what hallways he meant.

Old 06-22-12, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
I would tend to doubt anything on the floor in the hallway other than something like a doormat would pass a fire inspection.

I would walk down to nearest fire department and get their opinion.

Old 06-23-12, 06:37 AM
Well I know the government can be intrusive and careless of personal rights but I can't imagine them telling people what do in the hallways inside of peoples apartments and houses. The title does say Property in apartment hallways not hallways in peoples homes. Maybe Tom will be back to explain what hallways he meant.
He means the hallway of an apartment, not apartment building. I doubt there is a law regulating where people can put their belongings in their apartments. Usually these types of laws would apply to the public spaces of a complex and to building practices. I haven't heard of anything beyond smoke/CO detectors and fire extinguishers being required by law. That and sprinkler systems for certain types of buildings.

Old 06-26-12, 02:50 AM
I am not sure about this but maybe Tom is actually from Korea and not California. I would say in an apartment building in Korea where they are prone to quakes that maybe the hallways of apartment buildings should be clear of anything that could fall but you certainly can't keep people from hanging things on their walls as that is just human nature to do so in their own personal apartments. I agree though you should consult a fire department and if they say it is safe to hang things then it is.

Old 06-27-12, 03:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hedge, from Wikipedia:
Koreatown is a neighborhood in the Mid-Wilshire district of the city of Los Angeles, California known for its concentration of Korean American people and institutions. Home to a population of over 120,000 and covering just under 3-square-mile (7.8 km[SUP]2[/SUP]), it has one of the highest population densities of all neighborhoods in Los Angeles.[SUP][1][/SUP]
So it may have to do with customs. Still would like for him to come back and clarify it all.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-27-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
Dang, Larry - footnotes in a post? I'm impressed

Old 06-27-12, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can't take credit....it was a direct copy and paste, so it just happened. But NEAT if I do say so myself!!