Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Old 11-02-17, 02:29 PM
Kidde fire extinguisher recall

No question, just a suggestion to check it out if you might be affected, but I happened to see an article on the local online news this afternoon announcing a recall on certain Kidde fire extinguishers with plastic valves, the type commonly sold at places like Sears, big boxes, etc. for home, shop, and vehicle use. The Kidde site has the details, along with the affected model numbers for the various names they were sold under.

cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles

Last edited by PJmax; 11-02-17 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added link
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-17, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks Pedro. I'll add the link to our recall page.

Old 11-03-17, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the notification . . . . turned out that I had two (2) of the affected Kidde Extinguishers, Fire Away 110s, and they're sending me 2 new ones !

Old 11-04-17, 06:29 AM
You're welcome, Vermont. The irony for me was that I had three that are covered under the recall, two in the house and one in my truck, and had been thinking for several months that I should replace them because I know that they should be inspected and recharged as necessary, but my local shop anyway does not service ones with plastic valves. It's the type of thing that you want to be sure it works if needed, but still hard to throw away based only on thinking that they might not be up to snuff. The three larger ones that I have in the shop have metal valves, and although we have the ones at work inspected annually I only do my own every 3-4 years. Anyway, the reply I received said that they will send me replacements too, so can quit thinking about them for a while.

Old 11-04-17, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
I have two of the recalled ones and went though the website to file the claim online.

Old 11-09-17, 11:20 AM
Kidde Fire Extinqisher Recall

It was brought to my attention that Kidde is recalling a whole bunch of plastic handle type fire extinguishers, going back many years.

I went to their website and provided the requested information, and it just so happens that the 30+ year old Kidde unit I have in my boiler room qualifies for the recall. They're sending me a replacement.

So, what kind of fire extinguishers do you have hanging around in your HVAC rooms and garages? It might be worth taking another look....

Old 11-09-17, 01:58 PM
Here's a thread that Pedro started on the same recall last weekend . . . . maybe the Moderators should combine them ?

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/s...nguishers.html

Old 11-09-17, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had a 20+ yr old kiddie extinguisher I kept by the wood stove. Several yrs ago we had a little incident outside. Instead of combining the water hoses to reach it I just grabbed that extinguisher .... and even though the gauge said it was good - it was dead! Maybe I shouldn't have tossed that extinguisher.

Old 11-09-17, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Not surprising, mark. As I understand it, extinguishers need regular maintenance, and you cant rely on the gauge from year to year. They need to be agitated annually, then there is a 6yr test and hydrostatic testing.

Like anything, if there hasn't been any maintenance you can just pick it up and expect it to work like new.

Old 11-09-17, 02:50 PM
That was my dilema, knowing that they can go bad even though the gauge may still show "good". But then what? You either test them yourself by pulling the valve, in which case you now have a partially depleted extinguisher, or you play ignorant and leave them hanging on the wall or wherever, and assume that they might work if needed. We have ours at work, including in all of our vehicles, inspected annually, but, locally anyway, our extinguisher company does not service ones with plastic valves. The three larger ones that I got for my own shop have metal valves, and I have had them inspected a few times, but was at whits end with the three that have plastic valves so was a bit of a relief when I saw the recall. I don't know whether they are replacing them with plastic or metal valves, but at least I will know that they should be goof for a few more years.

Old 11-09-17, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Threads combined.................

Old 04-22-18, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
I finally got around to ordering a new fire extinguisher to replace a defective recalled unit that we have in the basement at our congregation. I had a bit of trouble with their website but it was because the fire extinguisher we bought a couple years ago was "old stock" from a local store. And their website couldn't comprehend how we had bought a pre-2007 mfg'd fire extinguisher just a couple years ago. Once I figured out that it wouldn't submit because the dates didn't jive, I just adjusted the estimated purchase date, and it went through just fine.

Old 04-22-18, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
They aren't supposed to be selling fire extinguishers that are that old.

Old 04-22-18, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
You are probably right. Bought it from a local Coast to Coast about 2 years ago. I could tell the box was old... not a big moving item, or maybe something they dug out of the basement while cleaning out their inventory (they are now True Value). And the owner is on the local fire dept! No matter, brand new one is on the way. Best thing that could have happened.