buying a new sewing machine help please

Old 02-03-05, 11:51 AM
Ninip
Visiting Guest
buying a new sewing machine help please

Hi all
I am wanting to buy a new sewing machine. I basically do family sewing and a few crafts and of course mending. Do not need embroidery per se. But I do like to sew little girl dresses for my grandchildren. I have always had problems doing buttonholes on my old machine. I have a Diana by Singer. Would like to know is there any machines that make buttonholes in one step real easy so that they look professional?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-05, 12:45 AM
I went shopping for a new machine today. There are so many choices out there. My problem, and think it might be yours, is that to get the few 'specialty' features such as one step button holes you end up buying a souped up machine with features you'd never use. It also seems that even the machines that don't have too many features are so large that they would be hard to move from one place to another. I don't have a sewing table, but use the kitchen table to sew due to space limitations. I need a machine that it large enough to be stable, but not one that takes my husband to move it!

I purchased a simple machine for under $100. It does the basics that I need such as zig zag and blind hem stitch. The closest thing to having the one step button hole deal ended up being 4 steps using a button hole foot. I had hoped to find one that had a stretch stitch, but those were all on the 'souped up' ones. I picked it up at Hancock fabrics. They seem to have a pretty good selection of machines.

So far it seems to sew just as well as my Singer that I paid twice as much for, and the Singer doesn't have any type of stepped button hole, nor does it have the blind stitch option. I paid twice as much for the Singer as I did this one.

I had checked at WalMart yesterday for their options for machines, but they were too fancy for me. I just need a basic machine for sewing quilt tops, mending and the kids craft things so a computerized or multitudes of stitches aren't necessary for me.

If you'd like to check prices on machines online, try going to walmart.com singer.com and hancockfabrics.com for just a few options. This way you can get an idea of what the machines can do for you, what options you can live with/without and the price ranges.

As far as buttonholes, I learned on an old machine and button holers weren't available on those models (crica 1960). Just practice, practice, practice and you will find that you can do a button hole in no time, and they look just as well as the professional ones. To make a button hole look even better, practice using very thin cording under the stitches (you can also use 4 strands of sewing thread or embrodery floss for the cording). This makes for a stronger, more even button hole, but requires a button hole foot since the foot holds the cording/thread while you sew the button hole.. I haven't tried out the 4-step button hole on the new machine yet. I'm sure that it will give me grief as much as my first 'new' machine did years ago. I do have to say that even though I gave up on the 4-step button hole feature, the button hole foot for the machine is awesome in helping to keep everything lined up and looking nice! If you don't have one, I recommend getting one for your machine if you don't buy a different machine anytime soon.

Kay