Singer 403B tensioner mechanism

Old 03-29-05, 09:34 AM
Singer 403B tensioner mechanism

The upper tensioner mechanism isn't working properly on my Singer. I'm mechanically adept (as evidenced by my postings in the automotive forum) and my hunch tells me the mechanism is either missing a part or improperly assembled. Does anyone have a blow-up drawing of the parts that make up this mechanism so I can properly diagnose this thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-05, 08:03 AM
Have you tried going to the singer site and checking their troubleshooting section? You can also call Singer for support, if needed.

You mentioned that it may be installed incorrectly? Has someone taken the tensioner apart? You can adjust this tensioner, which may have to be done periodically. You will need your machines manual for the proper way to do this. If you don't have a manual, you can order it directly from Singer. It showed that it is $15 for the manual.

Another option would be to locate a Singer store near you and take your machine in. If they do repairs there, then they can show you a diagram, but if not someone there may be able to walk you through how to adjust/fix it.

Good luck!

Kay

Old 03-30-05, 09:01 AM
I spent some quality time with the tensioner last night. I'm pretty sure I got it back together and adjusted properly. I can now reduce or increase the top tension as needed to my tastes.

But as you can see from the next thread I started, my basic problem persists, where thread bunches up on the bottom of the stitching. Setting proper tension does not make this problem go away. This problem occurred rather suddenly. I'm hoping someone with the same experience can lead me to something I need to check out.

You say Singer has a trouble-shooting section? I'll try to check it out.

Old 03-30-05, 10:33 AM
I'm trying to remember how this all works LOL. If the thread is bunching underneath yet the top stitches look okay, then you may need to losen the lower tension (bobbin tension). I'm thinking bunching underneath is from the lower tension too tight, and pulling excess thread to the bottom side. If the lower tension was too lose, then the thread would be bunching on the top.

Make sure that your bobbin and bobbin case are clean. If this just started, you may need to re-load the bobbin. Sometimes they wind funny and cause tension that is uncontrollable by either the top or bottom tension. Most of the time you never need to touch the bottom tension, and that is done with a screw driver. Also, make sure that it is the correct sized bobbin. Looking at the 66's and the 15's you can't really tell much difference other than one is a little taller than the other. Most drop in bobbins are 66's (shorter), but those that have a bobbin case use the 15's. Not always, but usually. Also check the bobbin (if plastic) that there aren't any burrs or nitches. This could also cause the bobbin to slightly bind.

Kay

Old 03-30-05, 11:26 AM
Kay, thanks for your responses. I have a few ideas to try out tonight after reading the Singer trouble-shooting web pages.

First, I'll give it a cleaning. I remember having a similar problem with lint hidden under the bottom bobbin. Oil. Then there's a possibility the needle is at fault... either change it or rotate it into proper position.

My gut feeling is that both tensions, lower bobbin and upper thread are properly set. Like I said earlier, I can get the thread-bunching problem to START going away when I set the upper tension to the thread's breaking point - not good. This indicates to me that something besides tension settings is amiss.