Rolled Hem on Serger, what am I doing wrong?

Old 05-07-05, 02:20 PM
78SilvAnniv
Visiting Guest
Question Rolled Hem on Serger, what am I doing wrong?

Hello all,
I have used my serger (Singer) 3/4 for several years to make garments and this is the first time I've attempted a rolled hem with sheer and near-sheer fabrics. I feel my machine is adjusted correctly for the rolled hem throat plate, but my stitches will catch on the throat plate needle (tpn) and not slip off.

I currently have regular cone serger thread in the right needle and loopers. My very first test strip was with a piece of heavier fabric (my mistake) and the threads caught on the tpn. My test strip with the sheer turned out great on the first try, then the second test strip caught the threads on the tpn.

I called my nearby JoAnn's Fabrics and spoke to their machine representative, who was not very helpful. I suspect either my thread is too thick (because it is catching on the tpn and not sliding off) or my rolled hem width is too wide.

I am afraid to try again without some guidance.
If thread thickness is my issue, what brand/type of thread should I be using? If width is the issue, I have the machine set at the recommendation for rolled hems according to my Singer Serger book...what should I set it to?

This is the last step in my project, I'm making a medieval costume for a friend's horse show costume class. This serger project is for the veil edges. I have two cones of wooly nylon that I've never used before and I don't know if they are suitable for rolled hems. My other serger threads cones are standard size, and I don't recall brand/threadweight because the wrappers are removed.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 10:53 PM
You may want to check the Singer site and see if they have any tutorials or hints/tips for rolled hems. If not, then you may want to call a local Singer Store and see if they can help you. Sometimes the techs at the manufacturer store are more knowledgable about the machines since they sell/work with only their brands.

Kay

Old 05-08-05, 07:29 AM
78SilvAnniv
Visiting Guest
Thank you Kay, I'll search around and see what I can find.

My next plan of attack will be to take my machine to the sewing machine store so they can see what I am doing. If that fails, I'll bring my project fabric and "test out" a new serger until my project is completed. (only kidding!)...(maybe)
Heidi

Old 05-12-05, 12:59 AM
Sure wish I could be more help. I'm still at sewing machine phase in my projects. I don't think that I could successfully thread a serger, much less use one!

Kay

Old 07-27-05, 08:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Talking Thread size probably is the trouble...

I know this thread (sorry bout the pun) is oldish, but I saw and wanted to add a note here...

For rolled hems on a lightweight fabric, you should be using Wooly Nylon in the loopers of your serger. It stretches and allows the fabric to wrapp properly.

Here is a couple of links to the how to's for wooly nylon and rolled hems:

http://www.centralsewing.com/service100.htm

http://janome.ca/projects/E003Roll_P...l%20Pillow.htm

Hope this helps.

RhainyC