Costume Help

Old 08-17-05, 08:20 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Costume Help

Hello,

To be honest, I'm new at sewing, but I have experienced people to help me.

I've been a long time fan of Superman and am desiging a costume using UnderArmour material. I had a few hold ups with the costume though:

1) The UnderArmour will allow me to have a shirt and pants, and i have omething for the red "overwear", but I was going to ask if anyone had a material that they would suggest that is like underarmour that I could use for a cape/the "S" shield? Maybe something a little heavier though.

2) Does anybody have any suggestions on how to design a good cape that will attach to a shirt a lot like in this picture (and how to attach if possible):
Shirt Attachment

And how to get a good flowing look to the cape like this:
Cape Waves

I know that second picture is a front point of view, but hopefully you could see the wavey motion of the cape (I'm thinking that that might come naturally from sewing it to the shirt)

Thank you very much. If anybody has seen Superman: The Movie with Christopher Reeve, that's the basic look I'm going for (to me, he is the real Superman). Thank you very very much for all of your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-05, 05:44 PM
As far as the fabric, I'm not sure. I'd have to check the fabric stores to see what types are available that are lightweighted, yet shiny like you're wanting for your costume.

It seems that the cape is shown to the shirt, possibly with interfacing applied underneath to give it the 'height' off the shirt at the neck. If the cape were able to wrap half way around you, but you gathered it at the neck (as shown in one of the images) it wouldn't allow the cape to hang in front of your shoulders too much. I think a lightweight fabric would have to be used for this project.

Too heavy, and it pulls at the neck and doesn't have the 'wave ability' that you're seeking. It would also be hard to get the 'lift' at the back of the neck if the fabric is heavier.

Kay

Old 08-20-05, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just a thought here...

I think that the best possible fabric would be basic Costume Satin. It is inexpensive, washable and has a very nice hand to it. It can be had at most fabric stores for about $3 per yard.

As for the attachment, I would use a heavy weight underfacing fabric, to sew the cape to first, then attach it to the inner collar area of the shirt portion.

To make the cape, a half circle should be just about right for what you are doing. Then, when attaching, be sure to attach from the center shoulder seam, around to the other center shoulder seam. That will allow for some forward movement, without it being too much. The half circle cape is very simple and has a lot of fabric to give the fullness wanted.

Here is a site with how to make a cape such as I am referring to:

http://amtgard.com:8080/how2clok.pdf

Have fun and good luck!

Best Regards,
RhainyC

Old 08-21-05, 07:15 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Wow, that's the perfect cape design (it looks like it at least). I'm going to put it together and see how it looks, then take my time with it later. Anyway, I went to my local Joann's, and looked through all different types of fabric. With some help from a few other people I was pointed toward what I think will be a really good fabric: Back Crepe Satin. It has the perfect shine, as well as a good weight.. not to light, not too heavy.

I think some people and I are going to put together the whole suit instead of using UnderArmour. I'm just peicing together different patterns. I think I'm going to use the Back Crepe Satin on the entire suit. I found a pattern for a male swimsuit that should work well for the "outerwear". You suggested a great pattern for a cape, I just cant find a good pattern for the shirts and pants that works on a material that's not exactly... lastic?

Well, thank you very much.

Old 08-22-05, 08:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Talking You need a good unitard pattern and...

Here is a good unitard pattern to start with:

http://www.thesewingplace.com/index....OD&ProdID=2151

You will also need a pattern to make the red briefs that go over the unitard. Here is one that is fairly simple:

http://www.thesewingplace.com/index....OD&ProdID=2075

Both of these patterns, and in fact the costume except for the cape should be done in a stretch fabric for proper appearance and fit.

Is there a reason that you do not want a fabric that is *lastic*? If it is because you are unsure of how to sew with knits (stretch fabrics) I would be glad to help out, and just for the record, knits are much more forgiving with mistakes that are often made in sewing.

Hope this helps,
RhainyC

Old 08-22-05, 11:05 AM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by RhainyC
Here is a good unitard pattern to start with:

http://www.thesewingplace.com/index....OD&ProdID=2151

You will also need a pattern to make the red briefs that go over the unitard. Here is one that is fairly simple:

http://www.thesewingplace.com/index....OD&ProdID=2075

Both of these patterns, and in fact the costume except for the cape should be done in a stretch fabric for proper appearance and fit.

Is there a reason that you do not want a fabric that is *lastic*? If it is because you are unsure of how to sew with knits (stretch fabrics) I would be glad to help out, and just for the record, knits are much more forgiving with mistakes that are often made in sewing.

Hope this helps,
RhainyC

Thank you, I'm looking at the paterns right now. It should work the same even though it's a pattern for a girl and i'm a guy?

Anyway, the main reason I'm thinking about Back Satin Crepe instead of a lastic fabric is because I cant find a good lastic fabric that has the right texture and color. I've thought of Spandex and stuff, but I cant find it at my local store.

Thank you for your offer though! I'll keep that in mind once I start on the actual work on the project.

Old 08-22-05, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spandex and such...and Yes...

You can use that same pattern even though it is a woman's pattern. Simply make the closest size to your own actual measurements.

As for fabric, what I would actually suggest is a swimsuit fabric, in a heavy lycra blend. It is easy to sew and very forgiving of mistakes.

Here is a site that has a reasonable assortment of this fabric:

http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchan...y_Code=LY-blue

They even have the royal blue...and red you need.

Here is another site with the fabrics I am speaking of:

http://www.glitteranddance.com.au/catalog.php?cat=79

Hope this helps. Oh I forgot to add I have used both of these companies with good results several times.

RhainyC
Keep Sewing!

Old 08-22-05, 02:45 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Wow, ya I love the color. I acutually cant find the red right now, but I'm going to keep looking, I believe you.

I have one other question for you (sorry for the pestering):
So that womens suit that you sent me the link for is designed to have a zipper up the front. Well, how hard would it be to either:
a) Put the zipper on the back (where it would be under the cape); or
b) Simply put the suit on backwards so that the zipper would be on the back (would that look funny)

Thank you very much, you're being very helpful.

Old 08-22-05, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pattern Alterations for zipper

Ok, easiest thing to do, IF you use the lycra fabric, as suggested, is simply make the neckline a bit wider, and do not put in a zipper at all.

BUT, if you don't use the lycra fabric, I would simply move the zipper to the back of the unitard, rather than putting it in the front, as yes, the cape would cover it up.

Oh and here is Denver Fabrics Red Page:

http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchan...ry_Code=LY-red

I like the red stretch satin...it will be a bit heavier than the nylon/lycra though.

Don't worry about pestering me, I enjoy helping out. I am a bit sporadic about being online, but, you can also email me if you want. I prefer to put things in the forum though, so others can see and benefit from our exchanges.

Let me know if I can help more.

RhainyC

Old 08-22-05, 07:03 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Well thank you. So you're saying to make the neckline wider and then get in the suit from the neckline? Do you think it would look right?

I also like the red stretch satin, do you think it would look strange to have one type of fabric for the blue suit, and then a different type for the red "outerwear", then finally another for the cape (I really want to use the Back Satin Crepe for the cape).

Finally, I have two more things that I was wondering if you had any idea's for:

1) For the boots, I could either think of a way ot make something like boots, or I could order some boots (I found a pair online). The good thing about making them is that I could match the colors better, but it's very hard to make boots, so I dont think I could do it).
Cloth like boots, but wouldnt be good for walking around outside.

Premade boots

2) A belt... I think I found a belt that will work, and I was thinking about just making a styrofoam belt buckle. I cant find a good oval belt buckle that would look good if i sprayed yellow. I'll put a link for a yellow belt bellow:
Christopher Reeves Belt

Yellow Belt

Thanks again.

Old 08-22-05, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The Premade boots are Perfect Buy Them! :D

Ok, yes with the stretch fabric you can make a basic boat neck and be able to slip into the suit from the neck.

Here is a pattern with a boat neck:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...I=10004&page=4

As for the different fabric for the cape, I don't see why not, in the movie it is two different types of fabric.

The yellow belt would be fine, and I wouls suggest checking some jewelry supply sites for a plain oval belt buckle that you can paint. Easier than any other option.

Hope this helps

RhainyC

Old 08-23-05, 10:39 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Well, today I walked into a tailor shop, and, just for the heck of it, asked if she could do it. Well, she said she could. She wont give me a price or anything until she know exactly what she wants done... tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, I'm supposed to take her some different pictures and show them to her, and she'll figure out how hard it will be. I cant decide if I want to bring in the Christopher Reeve photo's (because they are great and because he's the real Superman), or the Alex Ross drawing because I love the way he designs the costume. So I think I'm going to bring both, and see what she can do.

Anyway, I'm going ot keep in touch with this. Thank you.

Old 08-24-05, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes Please Keep In Touch!

I would love to see/hear about how things turn out. When I was sewing professionally I was charging about $20 per hour, and though I was very quick, many didn't want to pay the price for custom work.

I would love to see pictures of the completed costume for sure!

Best of Luck,
RhainyC

Old 08-24-05, 11:52 AM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Ya, I just got back from the place, and the lady said that she was going to charge $85 for the blue suit, and the red "outerwear" (plus materials). I wanted to do the cape myself, and I want to play with the S size before I get it sewn on. What do you think? Does that sound about right?

Old 08-24-05, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That sounds about right...

She seems to be a reasonable person with her charges, and if you provide the fabrics that you want, you will have a properly fitted outfit once you are done.

Be sure to ask if fittings are extra from the charges. Some people charge extra for each fitting, just an FYI.

I think that you will be happy with the whole thing, if she understands what you are going for in the costume. Take lots of pictures that show the look and design you are going for so she can clearly see the alterations on the pattern she will need to do.

Can't wait to see pics of the completed costume! And I do love those boots! If my legs were not so blasted full...I would be buying a pair myself!

Best Wishes,
RhainyC

Old 08-24-05, 07:20 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Kool, I'm glad that's a good deal. The one thing I'm not sure she's getting is the fact that i'm trying to avoid seems along the side of the shirt and pant... I'm not totally sure though.

The only thing that's really driving me crazy about the boots (and it's really picky) is the top of the boot. At the tip of Supermans boots, it dips down to a point, were on the top of the legging on that boot, it goes UP to a point. Ah well, that's picky.

Old 08-25-05, 06:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Avoiding seams on the side...

It may be a bit unrealistic to avoid side seams, depending upon your size/build. Just a head's up on that. Sewn properly, the side seams on the shirt portion will be barely noticable. On the pants portion, that is a bit easier, and doable.

Be certain you explain clearly to the seamstress about the pants portion. There are ways around the side seams on both parts, but it may increase the cost by quite a bit, due to preperations.

I don't think anyone will nitpick you about the point on the shaft of the boots, they are pretty darn near perfect otherwise.

Keep me posted,
RhainyC

Old 08-25-05, 07:03 AM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Haha, ya, that's true. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy them right now. So you're saying that the side seam my be unavoidiable on BOTH the pants and the shirt, but it might be very hard to avoid having one?

One last thing that I plan to ask her, but I'll go ahead and ask you. I'm using the royal blue nylon spandex, so how much fabric do you think it would take (i'm about 5'11" and 175 lbs. (not quiet to supreman size yet).

Old 08-26-05, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fabric Yardage Suggestions

I would buy 3 1/2 yards of the blue. That will give an extra approximate yard for alterations/changes that may be needed to get the costume made. I always suggest buying extra fabric to allow for changes/mistakes. It is always better to have left over fabric, rather than not having enough to complete a project, especially if there is an issue with any part of alterations.

For the red bottoms part, I would say a yard and a half would be plenty.

My figures are based on the yardage requirements for an Extra large, since it is a woman's pattern.

As for the side seams, that is something you will want to talk to her about. It can be done without them, but the work involved to alter the patterns may make the cost more than you really would want to pay...

Keep me posted!

RhainyC

Old 08-26-05, 05:23 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Ya, thank you veyr much for all of your help. I ordered the boots last night, so they should be coming in soon (hopefully by tomorrow night, but probably monday). I'm waiting until I get the boots in before I go and buy the fabric, so I can match and get as close to the same red as possible.

Right now, I'm going to get the suit sewn withOUT the "S" on the front, then I'm going to take it home, and see exactly what size S i'm going to want. Among the different actors to take on the role, they have different size S's to fit the persons chest. I might be able to put that on myself or else I'll put it back in the shop. We'll see. I'll start posting some pictures when I have some available.

Old 08-28-05, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Size of the S :)

I can't wait to see how things all turn out.

I think the size of the S should depend upon how the costume fits you. Once it is made, then you can use a sew in interfacing (which is really cheap, but somewhat sturdy) to make different size S's and *try them on the costume* to see what size will look best.

Hope this helps! Can't wait for pics!
RhainyC

Old 08-31-05, 11:28 AM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Well, I dont know what to say about the Superman costume. My push for it is stronger than ever as my home has been, as far as my family and I konw, destroyed from hurricane Katrina. We evacuated on my 17th birthday (last sunday), from New Orleans, and though the brunt of the storm missed, New Orleans is a soup bowl filling with water. I guess this costume has become my comfort. Happy birthday to me... spent all day on the road, then at the end of my birthday I lose all my posessions. Okay, enough whining from me, Superman never whined about his planet blowing up.

My grandmother might be able to get it together, so I'm looking, yet again, for patterns and fabrics. I think I'm going to try with that pattern you suggested above. Nobody has royal blue spandex, so I think I'm going to buy a small peice and try and die it royal blue in the washing machine. If it looks fine, that's what I'll do. If it doesnt, then I'll have to wait. Oh well... progress has nearly halted, but I'm pushing through.

So thank you very much, talk to you soon.

Superman

Old 08-31-05, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our Prayers are with you and your family...

I am so terribly sorry to hear that you are from that area...we lived in Biloxi, actually D'Iberville, for 9 months in 1995. I am certain from the video footage I have been seeing, the house we lived in is gone.

We will keep you in our prayers, and hope that soon, you will be in better situation. Happy Birthday, belated, and know that your present was the gift of life. Whining is just fine in your situation, but remember to be thankful as well. *Smiling softly.

Just an FYI, don't bother trying to dye the fabric, it has to be done with specific dyes and though can be done, is not something I would suggest an inexperienced person attempt.

Please keep us posted, and feel free to email me privately to keep in touch.

Blessings and Prayers,
RhainyC

Old 09-01-05, 01:59 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your concern. My grandmother really wanted a pattern and I just wasnt feeling great about any patterns that I was seeing, so I decided to "secretly" go to a tailor in town. She's done star trek costumes and they look really good (I know tights are different, but at least I know she has experience). I talked with the lady that actually does the costumes coworker today, and she said to come back tomorrow for full on pricing, but she's saying $80. I dont know, i dont konw how much I can afford anymore, my job is gone, and my parents job is gone. I hope I can get this together.... Superman is my hope for a better world.

Oh well, i think I'm going to have to order the fabric offline, but I'm going to ask the woman tomorrow if she has any fabric stores in town that she suggests. We'll see. Anyway, thanks for everythign, really.

Craig

Old 09-02-05, 09:53 AM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Hey,

I was also going to ask if spandex is an easy material to... alter? I mean now that my house and school are gone, I'm working out a lot. So I'm wondering if I should wait until my muscles reach "full capacity" to make the suit, or if it oculd be expanded if needed. I know it's an elastic material, so it shouldnt matter too much.

Thanks.

Old 09-05-05, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spandex and growing size

Craig,

I think that you will be ok with making the suit now, as long as you don't become Arnold. I would suggest the pattern I suggested and getting the fabric online, as it is more readily available, when you are ready.

I will keep you and your family in our prayers, along with all the folks touched by Hurricane Katrina's fources.

Keep me posted!

RhainyC

Old 09-28-05, 06:55 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Hey,

Long time no talk. Sorry, I've been kind of tryin to get into a routine. I dont know when Superman will rise. My pride to do it has fallen... my friends for support have left... my home to save is gone. I'm in New Orleans right now, just for a few days. I can tell you one thing... the news doesnt tell the story... they turn it into political battles, racial issue's, they cry about a home they didnt know... it's heart renching to walk outside and hear no music, no laughing, no crying, no sirens, no birds. It honestly brings tears to the eyes.

What could Superman do? I want to do it still, but I honestly dont have the money or the will to get the money right now to pull it all together. I also dont have the people to sew it all together. I doubt I could, and my parents cant. I met a nice taylor who said she would do it for $80 in the town I'm staying, but as I said.. no money. Thank you very very much for all your help.

Craig

Old 09-28-05, 10:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by miccgil88
Hey,

Long time no talk. Sorry, I've been kind of tryin to get into a routine. I dont know when Superman will rise. My pride to do it has fallen... my friends for support have left... my home to save is gone. I'm in New Orleans right now, just for a few days. I can tell you one thing... the news doesnt tell the story... they turn it into political battles, racial issue's, they cry about a home they didnt know... it's heart renching to walk outside and hear no music, no laughing, no crying, no sirens, no birds. It honestly brings tears to the eyes.

What could Superman do? I want to do it still, but I honestly dont have the money or the will to get the money right now to pull it all together. I also dont have the people to sew it all together. I doubt I could, and my parents cant. I met a nice taylor who said she would do it for $80 in the town I'm staying, but as I said.. no money. Thank you very very much for all your help.

Craig

Craig,

Aww, my heart goes out to you. Superman will rise again, but you need to have faith and patience. I understand, *sort of* where you are at right now.

Know that you are in my prayers, as are all the others in the recent hurricanes' paths. Please feel free to PM me on this board if you would like to keep in touch, til you are ready to start your project...sometimes having a cheering section can help, even if it is only words on a page, from a stranger thousands of miles away.

Take care, and keep in touch,

Old 10-02-05, 05:18 PM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Well, I compiled a few pictures of me in the past few months that are semi good representations of a Clark Kent image. Just so you get an idea of what we're working with here. They're all on the link below, you're free to browse around at the other pics, but they are older and bad representations (off days and what not). Again, I cant find a picture that shows muscle definition, but I promise I'm more defined then that.

Here's the pics

Old 11-14-05, 09:21 AM
miccgil88
Visiting Guest
Hey, I missed halloween, but we're back in business. With the first preview of the new Superman movie to come out with Harry Potter, I'm getting ready to take up the project again. I have a job, I'm slowly earning money. Just so you know that all your work has not gone to waste.