Need advice - ripplefold draperies, lining

Old 10-06-05, 08:57 PM
rsw
Visiting Guest
Need advice - ripplefold draperies, lining

I'm planning to make ripplefold draperies that are 12 feet wide total (finished width) by 9 1/2 feet long. This involves making two 171 1/2 wide panels (very full). I've purchased blackout lining - now I'm getting nervous about how to put the lining into such large panels, and am wondering if I should just use shirring or other tape on the lining header and hang it behind the ripplefold draperies, on a separate rod. What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-05, 06:43 AM
hopefully a seamstress will have some good instructions for you, cuz i don't know!!

but if not, i'd hang the lining on a separate rod behind, because i don't actually know how to sew lining onto draperies! the best i could do would be a pillowcase-type construction, and i know that's not right!

i'm going to move this to the Sewing forum, since that's where those seamstress-types hang out!! good luck!

Old 10-07-05, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by rsw
I'm planning to make ripplefold draperies that are 12 feet wide total (finished width) by 9 1/2 feet long. This involves making two 171 1/2 wide panels (very full). I've purchased blackout lining - now I'm getting nervous about how to put the lining into such large panels, and am wondering if I should just use shirring or other tape on the lining header and hang it behind the ripplefold draperies, on a separate rod. What would you do?
My suggestion would be to use a spray basting. This would temporarily hold the lining to the drapery fabric while you construct the drapes. That is a lot of fabric to be moving/sewing and it may not be a sure fire thing, but would be the easiest way to start. The other thing that may be doable is to baste by hand or machine, the two fabrics together.

I hope this helps...keep us posted on how it works out.

Search this Thread