Fabric & Machine Repair Questions

Old 10-10-05, 04:51 PM
Outofmymindyo
Visiting Guest
Fabric & Machine Repair Questions

Good evening everyone, sewing newb here, but have played around with my grandmother's Kenmore since I was about 5 (she used to try to teach me). The only thing I know how to do so far is a straight stitch. After 3 years away from the machine I hemmed up a pair of pants that were almost 5 inches too long for me. Turned out alright, except I forgot that it would have been easier to keep the hem straight if I had left the straight pins in the fabric ops: .

Anyway, my question pertaining to the repair. I tried to do blind stitching on the pants earlier, and it seemed to be acting up. Could have been something I was doing wrong, but I'd still like to have a shop check the machine anyway since it has NEVER seen a repairshop. It's a Sears Kenmore 158.17300 so it's close to being on it's last leg probably if I don't have it looked at.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any reputable repairshops in Fayetteville, NC (yes I can find shops, I am just wondering which ones are reputable) and I'm also wondering about how much they might charge for "maintenance". One hinge is bent not allowing the cam cover to close properly, and it may need a few other adjustments...but I think it works fine.

Alright, about the fabrics since I'm new I don't really know much about fabrics except the names. Cotton, fleece, felt, flannel, silk, satin, etc. I am wondering what people "in the know" call Egyptian or Pima cotton, or if those are even the same thing. I love egyptian cotton on my bed and want to try to make some sheets if I can and would love to be able to ask for that type of cotton.

If anyone can answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eileen

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-05, 08:07 PM
Singer Sewing Centers have been around for years. They offer repairs on many brands and offfer sewing lessons. Check your Yellow Pages.

To learn more about fabrics, go to www.fabriclink.com. Pima cotton is a cross between Egyptian and Uplands cotton plants and is grown in the SW USA. It has longer fibers and has more lustre than American grown cottons.

Old 10-10-05, 09:14 PM
Outofmymindyo
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the information.

Also, how open are all the members of this forum to answering questions I would have about sewing terms? Or is there a website that I could go to that has a giant list of terms and what they mean?

Thanks again.

Old 10-16-05, 01:08 PM
You may find www.sewing.org a helpful website with links. There are many online sewing glossaries. Type 'sewing glossary' in your search engine.

Search this Thread