Advice on which sewing machine to buy

Old 10-19-05, 07:30 AM
steeve
Visiting Guest
Smile Advice on which sewing machine to buy

Hi everyone,
I really need your help on which sewing macine to buy.I have visited several dealers and I can,t still decide what company is reliable.My problem is should I buy Janome or singer or brother etcI realised that the dealers are trying to sell their product.Most of the time they have only one company and they say it is the best.When I get to another one they tell me the other one is not the best and theirs is the best.So now I need advice from experience which company is reliable for home sewing.I need straigth,Ziz Zag, hemming,button hole,overlocking and may be some decorative stiches.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, my first advice would be to buy a good, used machine, from the 50's, 60's or 70's. The new machines don't hold a candle to them. But if you really want a new one, then I'd stick to Pfaff, Bernina, Janome or New Home. Forget Brother or Singer (unless you're talking about an oldie but goodie). If you go the new machine route, you really need to go and try them out, and see which features it has and which appeal to you. Unless it's a straight stitch only, all machines will do zig-zag and all machines with zig-zag will include decorative stitches, and will do buttonholes. Hemming is done with a special foot but hand stitching is nicer.
As for overlocking, you need a serger for that.

Old 10-21-05, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As a retired professional seamstress/clothing designer I would suggest that you also look at Viking or Bernina. Pfaff also makes a reliable good machine. I also second the staying away from the Brother and Singer models unless you are talking about an older Singer that is the metal body type. Those machines are old work horses and wonderful.

Having said that, I would suggest that you do some research online at places that do sewing machine reviews. That way you will see what problems people have had with the various machines and it will help educate you as to what to stay away from.

I am going to assume here that you are fairly new to sewing, if I am wrong, please correct me.

One of the worst things that someone who is not really experienced can do is buy a cheap machine and hope to make it work. It is frustrating to say the least.

My suggestion is to try to buy a used, better quality machine, such as a Viking, Bernina, Pfaff or Janome, from a dealer that sells used machines, and offers sewing classes. You can often buy a Much Better machine used, for the same price as a lesser quality machine new.

I personally own 2 Viking Husquavarna sewing machines, a Bernina sewing machine and Viking Serger. I bought the serger and one of the machines new, but got the others used at a huge savings over buying the machine new.

Note: Overlock stitches can be done on a good sewing machine as well, they even offer a cutting attachment for some machines that will cut and overlock. But as mentioned, many stitches do need specialty feet, so the availablity of such stitches on the machine, and the feet needed, is also something you should check on before buying.

Just my *two cents* Feel free to ask any questions if you need any more ideas/help.

Last edited by RhainyC; 10-21-05 at 07:54 AM. Reason: to add a note
Old 11-13-05, 11:50 PM
countryrose220
Visiting Guest
Wink Countryrose220

Hello,

I'm new on here and will probably put my foot in my mouth a few times, but felt I should add my 2 cents worth on the subject of sewing machines.

I worked as a Sears Serv.Tech.for 14 yrs. in Little Rock, Ar., on various types of sewing machines. I admit to being more partial toward Kenmore, although I realize there are many other very good sewing machines on the market. And prejudice does often apply, depending on the individual's experience or knowledge of certain brands. But the type of sewing machine you get, basically does depend on the type of sewing you plan to do and how much money you want to invest, as well. Unless you plan on going into sewing commercially, and if you're not that experienced yet, then I suggest a mid-price range machine, most of which have several similiar basic stitches and features.

Naturally, I do recommend Kenmore! In my opinion,for the money, they're easy to operate and hold up very well. Also as mentioned by another member, the older ones were made better, but the new ones have some improved & helpful features as well. Bottom line, regardless of brand or age, the service you get from the machine depends on it's type of use, care and maintenance. Good luck on your machine selection and enjoy!

Last edited by countryrose220; 11-14-05 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-29-07, 09:04 PM
Smile

Singer is a "household term" and agree about the old ones ... I have one. BUT, the features on a newer machine outweigh the older ones. Think about a Huskie, etc. that you can "trade-up" within a year. If you like the machine and find you don't sew as much as you thought, you still have a good investment. If you want to do more, you can trade up. I recently bought the "top Husqu" with embroidery, etc. ... lots of $$ unless you want all of that. Been sewing many years. But I got a low end Huskie first ... kept it instead of trading up and use both machines. A company that offers "trade up" and "unlimited" sewing classes on your purchase ... is worth the investment! Love the Needle Up/Down feature and auto cutting. Check that out too ... GOOD LUCK and just KEEP SEWING !!