Christmas gift ideas

Old 12-10-05, 08:19 AM
lepleyp
Visiting Guest
Christmas gift ideas

My daughter-in-law just bought her first sewing machine. I don't think she knows much about sewing (neither do I!). Can anyone suggest some useful gifts I might give her for Christmas related to sewing? Thanks, and happy holidays.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 03:28 PM
A good book on sewing techniques and tips would be helpful. There are many good books on sewing crafts, quilts, etc. A sewing kit that contains the usual scissors, pinking sheers, assorted needles, thimbles, etc. might be handy. A gift certificate to a local fabric store might be most welcome. Perhaps some simple patterns for beginners would be a good start--aprons, vests, cushions, teddy bears, stuffed dolls, etc. A specialty attachment for her sewing machine--button hole maker or other that she may not have. Perhaps a subscription to a sewing magazine. (Type sewing magazine into your search engine, and you will see there are many from which to choose.)

Old 06-29-07, 08:49 PM
Smile Christmas Gifts for New Sewer

GOOD Scissors are critical (and never use for paper, etc. -- GUARD them with your life and keep them AWAY from Family Members) Expensive but worth the purchase "IF" you prize them with your life. Remember: Men have GOOD tools so we women should INVEST in good tools also.

A Rotary Cutter and Mat for cutting material is a great item. Fiskers is good and you can easily get replacement blades. Also, have different kinds of blades to use for different things. You can stack material (like for quilting, etc.) and cut multiple layers at one time.

An idea to store the mat: use a hanger with clips (like for skirts) and hang the mat in the closet. Put the rotary cutter in the drawer for scissors (the one with the pic of Skull & Bones) that no one can get into!

The scissors that are funny looking to clip threads.

A seam ripper (yuk, hate to use it -- but it is needed)

Don't know what it's called but its round and magnetic to hold pins (great for pinning and taking pins out when sewing).

A good "light" if her machine doesn't come with one ... one that shows as "daylight". I'm a long-time sewer ... my new machine adapts to the light but I found it was hard to see before this machine. They are expensive ($80-$100) but JoAnn's has on sale sometimes at 50% off ..

Go to the notions area of a store (i.e., JoAnn's) and look thru the items. Lots of neat things.

You could put together a neat "Sew Special Gift Package"

If she wants an idea to make others for XMAS: Take a dish towel .. put a hook (from a sm. piece of fabric) at the top. Then put elastic at the top & bottom. Sew up one side. and "MAGIC ... its a plastic bag holder".

Have FUN with our idea and Merry Christmas (your my first wish!)