Lefty/Righty or Man/Woman Zipper??

Old 02-22-06, 11:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lefty/Righty or Man/Woman Zipper??

Hi! Can anyone please tell me what it means if a person has to use their right-hand to zip up a zipper? I was told that it was meant for a right-handed person, but I grew up to believe that a woman's garment zips on the right, and a man zips his with his left hand. Thanks!

Old 02-23-06, 05:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You have it backward - men's zippers use the right hand and women's usually the left - this is leftover from years ago when affluent women were helped to dress, so the buttons or zipper were set up with the idea that someone not wearing the garment would be fastening them. Why it never changed now that most reasonable and capable people dress themselves, I don't know.

Old 02-23-06, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your question made me go check the zippers on my wifes jeans. Hers are labeled Womens, and have the same configuration as mine do. This means zipping with the right hand or folding back the flap to use your left hand.
On shirts and blouses, I have always heard that womens have the buttons on the left side and the buttonholes on the right. This (supposedly) was a carry over from when women rode horses sidesaddle and faced the left side of the horse. This kept the wind from blowing into the garment.

Old 02-23-06, 07:32 PM
So, whether the zipper or the buttons are zipped or buttoned from the left or the right, has nothing to do with whether a person is left-handed or right-handed?

Old 02-23-06, 09:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Correct, it does not.

Old 02-23-06, 11:28 PM
Thank you very much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: