Shower curtain creation/

Old 08-06-06, 03:14 PM
Shower curtain creation/

Hi,
I don't sew but have some beautiful flat cotton material I'd purchased for curtains but then moved so I wondered if it'd be a big job to hire someone to make this into a shower curtain for me? I imagine they could use the "button hole" option on their sewing machine maybe? I don't think it'd need to have a lining- since the one I have now doesn't~ I just use a plastic liner inside the tub and keep the cloth on the outside...
Would anyone have an idea if this would cost me a lot more than just buying one off the shelf? I was going to offer like $35 knowing it'll be a pain due to the size of working with all the material and all those "hook holes" But no stripes/texture, etc to deal with...
Thanks,
deb

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-06, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, ummm, I'll do it for $160.

Old 08-06-06, 08:06 PM
Seems like it would cost less to buy one from the store. I haven't personally asked anyone to make one nor do I know anyone but perhaps...

if you have a sewing machine and the time, you can actually do it yourself...if you wanted to. There are all sorts of examples on how to make one. All you have to do is google search "make a shower curtain". Especially with the fact you can use your existing liner, it will be easier not having to attach it. Besides the button holes which probably take more work, you can even use a tied tab header.

Though it's faster and easier and cheaper to buy one, nothing beats making one yourself.

Old 08-07-06, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
I've been asked to explain why I would charge so much. First I'd like to say that number 1, it IS custom, not readymade, and custom will always cost more. I see shower curtains sell in stores for more than $35 and in case you didn't know, the fabrics that are used for readymades are not the same fabrics you buy and are a much cheaper quality made just for those stores, so fabric is a very small percentage of that charge. They are made cookie cutter production line style in production factories. They'll be crooked, uneven, different lengths, and made fast and cheap to get them to the store. I take the extra time to make sure everything is done right and looks great, not like something you'll see in Walmart. Also, area has a lot to do with price, I live in a higher priced area, so your area may be cheaper. Another thing, you can sometimes find a friend or the little old lady that sews on the side and charges ridiculously low prices because they do not know any better.
As for my price, I charge per width, and it's standard in the custom world, to make a shower curtain 2 widths, so I charge $60 per width for an unlined flat panel, so 2 x $60 = $120 plus $3 per buttonhole, so $3 x 12 = $36 and $4 for the interfacing needed for the buttonholes. Total $160.
Hope this explains it and of course you can probably do much better.

Old 08-07-06, 09:51 AM
start looking for those little old ladies!!!

or buy a little sewing machine, if you don't have one. this would be a good beginning project for a new sewer. like DIY said, you don't have to use button holes - you could use tabs or even grommets, which might be easier. or you could make a rod pocket with a header - kind of hard to slide, so only do this if you go with 2 panels pulled back at the sides.

Old 08-19-06, 06:04 PM
Red face Wish I had sewing skills!

Well, I was fortunate to find several interested people on Craigslist (and maybe they are the little old ladies- I don't know)
But they're reasonably priced from $40-60 either with the button holes or one suggested metal grommets (but I wonder if they'd rust?) Anyways- that seemed AS CHEAP as buying premade ones and since I like the fabric I have (and already paid for!!!) I figured to go "custom" though my house isn't high end~ I wouldn't be able to afford $160 for the bathroom- but surely for window treatments I think custom drapes are worth it.
(essentially I imagine the workmanship is similar)
Forget MY buying or using a sewing machine- I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. I actually got an "F" in Jr. High on my pants project...I got the zipper in which I thought was the hard part- but the legs were different lengths so she flunked me. After that experience with cutting patterns and using bobins, etc. I'd had enough. Imagine- giving a 12yo an F??? I TRIED. I'm DONE with sewing.
Now though- my wall color isn't working- so it's back to the paint store to lighten up the walls and try to blend it with the floor tiles...I know paint should be last- but I figured I'd find a descent shower curtain in the "taupe" family or white with some raspberry accents- but I can't find one I like! Gonna check a few other stores prior to having someone create my shower curtain (feels decadent) though.
This fabric is a mix of florals (like a spring bouquet) it's pretty...but has a little "dingey" look against the white tiles.
Hopefully lightening up the walls to like a vanilla??? will help.
I'm hopeless lost...oh well.

Old 08-21-06, 07:11 AM
if the fabric is dingy, do you mean it's sort of antiquey looking?

will the white tiles still show with the shower curtain up? are the tiles just in the tub enclosure area?

what about using the raspberry color on the walls?