sewing seatbelt to mounting tab

Old 12-17-06, 10:20 AM
sewing seatbelt to mounting tab

looking for suggestions on how to sew a seatbelt to the mounting tab - would a standard sewing machine - I don't own one - accomidate the thickness ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-06, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
william tell,

You have no way of knowing that a homemade sewing job would stand up if you stressed the belt.
If you were determined to have this done a shoemaker or leather worker should have a sewing machine that can handle the thickness of a seat belt.

Old 12-17-06, 01:07 PM
Hey thanks , I did'nt even consider those trades
you are correct about the home job though , I am not sure I could do a proper job considering I don't even sew

Old 12-17-06, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Not sure if you are installing a lap belt or a four point harness. If it's just an ordinary lap belt it might be simpler to use an auto belt that has the bracket already sewn on the end of the belt and then securely bolt it to the frame.
You could likely get a belt from a wrecker for a couple of bucks.

Old 01-12-07, 03:39 AM
Be very careful adding/modifying a seat belt for highway (or any use). There are very specific regulations for seat belt attachment points and seat belt webbing. The Code of Federal Regulations and the National Highway Safety Administration will supply you the correct information. Improperly done can result in the liability going in your direction if something were to go wrong.

Old 01-25-07, 07:30 PM
I found a shoe repair place that will do it, It is a 5 point belt for off road go cart