HELP ME! elastic waistband issues!

Old 01-28-07, 12:35 AM
Question HELP ME! elastic waistband issues!

I'm reconstructing a t-shirt into a tank top. I have all the pieces cut out and measured, all I want to know is how can I make the waist of it fit? Would it be possible to just sew an elastic band to the sides, but around it of course. I just don't want the fabric to bunch up because the whole front is covered with a graphic. Can anyone give me an idea on how to make the waistline fit better?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-07, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Hi! The nicest, most attractive way to make a fitted waistline is with darts. Normally the best placement for them is on the front, between the center and sides, but since you have a graphic on the front, you could put them on the back or perhaps on the sides would work. I'm including a link with pretty good directions and pics. Where ever you decide to place them, baste them first and try it on so you can make adjustments till you get it right, since you'll need to make some cuts because of the curve. If you don't care for this method, let me know and I'll see if I can figure something else out for you.

http://www.simplicity.com/simp_PDF/what_are_darts.pdf