Sergers - any advice on features or models?

Old 06-06-07, 12:37 PM
Sergers - any advice on features or models?

I started my own home-based drapery business about 6 months ago. I'm considering whether I should buy a serger. I'm not sure how useful or necessary it would be for my business since I've never used one. In what situations is a serger useful? Also, how fancy a model should I consider?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
You know, I've been sewing since I was little, and only got a serger a few years ago, and in fact never used one before that, but I'll tell you, I wonder how I got along without one! It's something that comes in real handy and you'll find yourself using it all the time. For making home furnishings, you really only need it for finishing seams, but if you're doing this as a biz, you want the inside to look as nice as the outside, especially pillows. It also helps with bulk. You don't need a fancy one, but you do need a heavy duty one, that can go thru many layers and a 4 thread is all your need, but a 5 thread if fine, too. I have a used industrial serger and would recommend an industrial, but if not, then a used Pfaff 700 series (new ones are very pricey) or I've heard that White's are pretty good, heavy duty and inexpensive and also Husqvarna/Viking.

Old 06-07-07, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. Can you use a serger for finished raw edges stapled to the top of a valance board? That's the type of thing that bothers me. Do you use the serger on seams that are hidden inside a lined drape?

What is the difference between the 3, 4, and 5-thread sergers?

Old 06-07-07, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
"Can you use a serger for finished raw edges stapled to the top of a valance board?"
Yes, you sure can. It's good for any edges you want looking neat.

"Do you use the serger on seams that are hidden inside a lined drape?"
Depends but usually only if it's a fabric that ravels badly, like silk.

"What is the difference between the 3, 4, and 5-thread sergers?"
A 3 thread only overlocks (the stitching that goes over the edge), a 4 thread makes a mock safety stitch, IOW it sews a straight row of stitching next to the overlock stitches, and a 5 thread makes a true safety stitch which means it makes a chain stitch next to the overlock stitches.
If you weren't straight stitching first, then you'd need the 5 thread to make sure the stitches don't come apart, but since we generally use a straight stitch first, a 5 thread isn't really needed but if you can get one for a good price, then nothing wrong with getting one. You want to get at least a 4 thread.
Oh, and with a home serger, you can also do a rolled hem.

Search this Thread