Making a comforter for a dorm bed

Old 07-14-07, 08:19 AM
Making a comforter for a dorm bed

I want to make a dorm comforter for my granddaughter. I've looked in the stores to find out the size of the ready made ones (66 x 96)
She picked out a striped fabric for the top and a matching solid fleece for the bottom. What batting should I buy?
How do I proceed in sewing this together?
I keep using my old Singer 328k for all my sewing projects. I bought a serger last year and have never taken it out of the box. Is this something I would use for a comforter?
Also, the ready made comforter have stitching on the fabric either in blocks or some other pattern. Is this how they hold the bating in place? Is it dificult to stitch through all three things after the comforter is made?

Any help would be great!!!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-07, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Making a comforter is a bit of an undertaking, but here's the easiest way. It's best to measure the bed it's going on. In fact, if you go to a place like Joann's Fabrics, they sell the batting insert (Mountain Mist is the brand name) already precut for the size bed you need, then just measure that. Unless you bought extra wide fabric, you'll need to piece the fabric and you don't want to sew it down the middle, but rather a wide piece in the middle and two smaller ones at each side and you'll want to pattern match the stripe or use a small cording to attach the pieces for a pretty detail. Add cording in the seams when sewing the top and bottom together if possible (let me know if you need instructions for the cording). Add the cording to the top piece first, easing it on so it doesn't pucker. Lay the batting down, the top fabric face up, the bottom fabric face down. Sew all around leaving an opening to turn, then hand stitch it shut. Quilting is often done on a comforter, but unless you have a quilting machine this will be too much to handle and there's alot more steps to making it. Instead you'll need to hand tuff it. Get some yarn, embroidery thread or pearl cotton and about every 6 to 10" apart, thread a large needle with a double thread and go down from the top and back up about 1/4" away, then tie a double knot and leave about 1/2" of thread. You can use a contrasting color thread if you want or match the stripe. If she plans on washing this, you'll need to prewash the fabrics and cording first so they don't shrink later.
Another option is to buy some Warm and Natural interlining (also at Joann's) and make a coverlet instead. It's very warm but thinner than batting so it can be sewed into the seam with the two fabrics so no tufing needed.
Oh, the serger can be used to finish the seams neatly, but you don't have to do this.